Thread: 101 Best things to do in NZ - the ENZ list!!

Default 101 Best things to do in NZ - the ENZ list!!

OK so the AA is running their website on what are the best holiday activities & places to visit in NZ & summer hols are fast approaching & I thought we'd all benefit from recommendations of places to visit when we're away this summer. I'm interested to find out what your all-time favourite activites to do in NZ on holiday are.

My fave must-do activities so far have been:

Sailing with the dolphins & penguins from Paihia Wharf (Bay of Islands) on a small catermaran. We stopped off at an island for a swim & to take in the scenery (and, for a sausage sizzle!!).

Spending NYE in Paihia - fantastic fireworks that would easily challenge any top firework display in the UK!

Hot natural springs in Taupo - great for a morning's relaxation (especially when you've got a hang-over!).

Kapiti Island - good exercise walking the Trig track to the top and amazing bird-life and lovely native plants/trees. I even saw a kiwi in the wild (stayed at the Kapiti Island Alive lodge overnight - v. rough & ready but great food & very welcoming hosts) - although it rained all weekend I'd say this has been the very BEST thing I ever did in NZ!

Just reading that has made me get all excited again. I cant wait.......

1/ Zorbing at Rotorua. There just are not the words to describe how much fun this is. I particularly recommend the wet version over the dry version - and doing a joint run is a must for pure hysteria.

2/ Jumping off the Skytower in Auckland. Not as much a strain as Bungy - but im my mind - an excellent way to start a New Life in New Zealand.

3/ Toast Martinbororugh (this weekend ) If you can get tickets to this wine event - its well worth it. A rambling tour of teh Wairarapapa's vineyards,; music, food and company. A great day out. (though NOT cheap )

The whale watch at Kaikoura.

It's very well organised, the boats are excellent and the staff helpful and informative.

I was surprised at the technology too, with pc's and a flat screen tv in the cabin, air craft style.

It was $70 per person and you get half of that back if you don't see any whales.

Edited to say: I love your daughter's pic in your avatar Sarah
    Last edited by Smiler; 16th November 2006 at 04:49 PM.

The Maori show at Tamaki Brothers place just outside of Rotorua. I have seen it twice now with different visitors and it was excellent both times.

Seeing the Franz Josef Glacier from a helicopter - it is breath-taking!

Love the Taupo hot pools at De-Bretts.
    Essential to go to - especially in the rain!

The Huka Jet up the river to the Huka Falls at Taupo - not cheap but cool.

Martinborough Craft Fair - first Sundays in February and March.

The Mission vineyard concert in January - last year was Chris Rea and Olivia Newton John - this year we are going to see Eric Clapton wahoooo

Seeing the stage show "Maui" at the St James in Wellington - it was amazing.

Mt Ruapehu - in all shapes and forms. Even just driving up it!
    It erupted a few weeks after we got here!

Kapiti Island visit - nearly killed me getting to the top but I did it.

Te Papa. Over and over again - never get tired of it!

The farmer's market in Porirua on a Saturday morning.

Shopping in Petone - the cafes are awesome.

so many more...

Taking the Tranzalpine in the middle of winter - got to be one of the most fantastic train journeys anywhere.
    Any jet boat ride
    Hells Gate
    The luge at Rotorua
    The scenic route drive from Akaroa to Christchurch

Thumbs up

I am loving this and making notes!! When I finally get there, I will have a great list of things to start with!! FANTASTIC!!

Thanks, all!!

Terry