Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Making American food in NZ

Default Making American food in NZ

Okay, I'll start the spin-off thread!

New Zealand has a wealth of marvelous foods and beverages, but we Yanks and Canucks are leaving behind familiar brands and menu items. Here's our opportunity to collect together information on substitutes and recipes.

I've spent most of my life in Maryland, and our local addictions are steamed blue crabs and steamed shrimp. Both are cooked with the same snappy, salty spice mixture. The main brand is Old Bay (McCormick), and that's become the generic term for any crab spice. I'm still researching substitute crab species (any solid info will probably have to wait for our scouting trip next spring), but here's a copycat recipe for Old Bay:

1 tbsp. ground bay leaves
    2 1/2 tsp celery salt
    1 1/2 tsp ground mustard seed or dry mustard
    1 1/2 tsp black pepper
    3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/2 tsp ground cloves
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp red pepper
    1/4 tsp ground mace
    1/4 tsp ground cardamom

Blend together and store in an airtight container. This makes about 1/4 cup of spice mixture. This mix is great on chicken too (especially fried chicken), and I particularly love it on popcorn or grilled asparagus.

So, does anyone have a good recipe (using ingredients available in NZ, please!) for homemade bratwurst, New England clam chowder, Nanaimo bars, poutine, crayfish etouffee, oyster po'boys, or Cincinnati 4-way chili?

Oh, my god. You eat... poutine?? Gaaahhhh!!!

I have good recipes for some of your requests, but as I'm not in NZ, I'm no help with the available ingredients -- yet. I have a great New England-style clam chowder recipe, and I'll be sure to share it once I've verified all the ingredients are available in NZ. They should be. I live 10 miles away from Pismo Beach: Clam capital of the world!!

I'm gonna miss Dungeness crab.

I wonder if NZ has hickory chips for barbecue... I'm thinking specifically for slow-smoked barbecue pork ribs.

CC, I'm pretty sure you'll be covered for the bratwurst.. Kiwis love their sausages. Also, don't know about etouffee, but crayfish -- called kouras --are a national delicacy. There are 2 varieties, one in the North Island and one in the South. Kaikoura in Maori means big crayfish feast, loosely translated. No help with the oyster po'boys or Cincinnati 4-way chili.. but I'm sure someone will be along!!

Rae

Default American Food

Hi CC and Raeven! Couldn't wait to get in on this one, although you gals are much more talented cooks than I am, I will try to help out.
    I have a recipe for making the taco seasoning blend that is awesome, found it on the web, and it's just like those nasty little Lawry's packets you can buy here, but better! And cheaper! Also, Raeven, did I mention to you that I checked out spices down there and they have all the stuff we are used to seeing, and the prices were very, very good, even in the dairy stores! A lot of my stuff is old, so I might just throw away a bunch and start fresh....it is definitely cost-effective if one wants to. :cool

Default American foods

TACO SEASONING MIX (like in the packets)
    2 tablespoons flour
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion
    1 teaspoon paprika
    3/4 teaspoon crushed beef bouillon cube
    1/4 teaspoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    dash onion powder

Combine ingredients in a small bowl. Brown one pound of ground beef (turkey) and drain, add the seasoning mix and ¾ cup water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Enjoy!

LOL, awwwwwwww, SoCalGal, it ain't a cooking contest... I think your taco seasoning mix recipe is wonderful, and I'll look forward to using it!!

I'm very relieved to learn I'll manage to get my paws on most of my spices and herbs. I even found juniper berries, so I'm quite pleased.

I can see it's time for me to put up a li'l something here, and since we're doing spice medleys, here's my contribution:

Beer Butt Chicken

The Rub:

1 TB packed brown sugar
    1 TB granulated sugar
    2 tsp salt
    2 tsp Accent or msg (optional)
    1 tsp celery salt
    1 tsp ground black pepper
    1 to 3 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder

Combine all ingredients and mix well. You can put it all in a jar and shake to mix. Makes about 1/2 cup and will store for up to 6 months.

Take 2 each 3 1/2 pound chickens. Rub liberally with spice mixture inside and out. Gently lift the skin away from the breast and smear more spice mixture under the skin.

Open 2 cans of your favorite beer. Take a beer can opener and pierce the cans all around the top. Carefully slide the chickens butt-side down over the beer cans. Arrange them artfully so they look like they are dancing!

Set up your barbecue grill for indirect grilling, arranging your coals in two piles along the sides of the grill (we use a Weber). Set your chickens with beer cans on top of the grill. Add 1-2 cups of presoaked wood chips to the coals a couple of times during cooking if you like a smoke flavor. Add 10-12 fresh briquettes to each side after about an hour of cooking. Cook and smoke for 2 1/2-3 hours. Take care when removing chickens and beer cans from grill -- beer will be hot!! I use mitts covered with plastic bags and set everything on a large wooden cutting board. Let stand for 5 minutes before carving the meat off the upright carcass.

Isn't it fun serving a dinner that's a conversation piece, too?

Rae

I lack all but the basic cooking skills. Any chance y'all can just let me have your leftovers once I'm over there?

Ok. But you have to renounce your Texan citizenship. Trust me; it will be worth it. :P

Rae

Hey, there's nothing wrong with Texas. Have you ever been to Austin? Come visit while you're still in the states.

Trust me, I will have no ties to this state (only been here 4 years anyhow - I'm a yankee at heart) nor this country when I enter NZ. Now someone just donate me 5 points so I can get over there. Grrrrrrrrrr. Everyone's happy but me

Hi, J,

I was teasin' wit' yas.. apologies if toes were stepped on. My bad!!

I've only been to Amarillo, and I know it's not representative of the State of Texas.. I've heard Austin is actually marvelous!!

Please feel free to bash California as you like -- everyone else does!!

Humbly asking for forgiveness, Rae

IS THIS THE WAY TO AMARILO?

EVERY NIGHT I'VE BEEN HUGGIN MY PILLOW!

DREAMIN DREAMS OF AMARILO!

AND SWEET MARIE WHO WAITS FOR ME!

Anyone know if sweet Marie is still waiting...if so can yas' tell her I'm gonna be a bit late!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast