Thread: nursing in Tauranga

Default nursing in Tauranga

Hi Going on holiday/recci to NZ touring both islands in a campervan arriving 26/11/06 we have ITA accepted and had medicals 16/11/06 and plan if all goes well to be in NZ june 07 we are going on my [Karen] as priniciple applicant points as oh is in the field of IT anyway I will be meeting the recruitment advisor at Tauranga hospital for a tour of he campus and possible interview for a registered surgical nurse can anyone help me with any info about Tauranga hospital and info of the bay of plenty we initially considered nelson but there does not see to be much employment there however we will be visiting on our tour of NZ we are flexable with our approach Any fedback very welcome

regards

Karen

Hiya Karen,
    I wonder if I may pick ur brain please? Im a nurse (community, & terminal care at the mo). My OH has just had an interview for police transfer & we are awaiting the answer this wk!!!!!!!!!!!!! But what I would like to know is the process by which I register with NZ nursing counsel. My OH has hinted that I may have to register to earn him extra points. Ive looked on website but boy it looks like a really lengthy process and they appear to want everything apart from my bust size!!!!

I hope u can enlighten me, and good luck on ur campervan travels
    Amanda, Danny, Jack & Ella-Maud

Hi Amanda Really sorry dont think I will be much help as my nursing registration was handled by The Emigration group and they just forwared the from to me and I just signed however the registration is a strange process in that the registration certificate is issued according to your birthday and is renewed 3 9 0r 12 month and different prices dont think your oh can claim points on your nurse registration but good luck.buy the way we live close to you 10 miles from Skipton good to talk to a fellow nurse

Regards

karen

Thanks anyway, it's a small world eh!!! No wonder we r trying to escape the YDH is enough to scare anyone away!!!
    Good luck xx

The NZNC registration is a bit lengthy. I found it helped to get the form printed out and spend an evening getting well aquainted with it and then it felt more manageable. The actual form is a breeze, but they (understandably) require a lot of documentation. Ours (well, DH's but I've organised the form filling nightmare part of this emigration, so every completed form feels like my 'mine' ) is gone and we're just waiting for it to be processed.

I was advised it can take a while to get it all sorted, so we actually post phoned our moving date by a few months! Worth getting cracking if you're planning on doing it.

Hi all, I'm following this thread with interest, especially since like you Amanda my husband has recently been offered a job with NZPol , and I'm also a nurse who fully intends to work when we get out there. I've looked at the NZNursing Council website and their application for registration, and I've encountered a problem. I trained back in the dark ages, when nurse training was done in schools of nursing attatched in hospitals, and not university based. I trained at a famous London teaching hospital, but the school of nursing closed down in the early 1990's, so how the heck am I supposed to provide a verified transcript of my training? I can't remember if I ever recieved one, but if I did it's been lost long since, all I can find now is certificates. I can give evidence of continuing professional development and continuous registration with the NMC for more than 20 years, but I can't give evidence of whether I did 6 weeks paediatrics and 4 weeks theatres in my basic training, or vice versa Nightmare. Will this stop me getting registration You'd have thought that the NZ Nursing Council would have a good idea as to whether or not a UK nurse training met their standards or not since there do seem to be a lot of UK nurses heading their way.
    BTW, I think I've encountered Leachio on another forum as well

Hi Tomsk,

I also trained at a school of nursing, which has closed down. I phoned the local university that now runs a nurse training programme and that I know had some links to the nursing school and they told me try another university in the city. I phoned the second one, asked for the dept. of nursing, explained the situation and they put me through to the transcript dept. and even though I'd never set foot in the place they had my transcript. Incredible.
    I guess with all the schools closing, the records must go somewhere so I'd try phoning the people who currently offer the courses. Or phone the NZ nursing council for advice, they were quite pleasant when I spoke to them and once they stopped losing all my documents, actually processed my NZ registration pretty fast.

Good Luck,

Karen

Mrs pieeater had trouble with obtaining a trancript and verification of training as she did the School of Nursing thing.It took 11 months in total before she could start work.

I'd get onto it ASAP. Even though I'm a NZ reg nurse and only had to get my annual practice certificate sorted it still took ages. I think the kind of info they're asking for is fairly standard - it sounds like the kind of stuff I had to provide to the UKCC when I applied for UK nursing reg 10 years ago.

Good luck with the forms.

Debs

Hi There
    Once you have everything required (which can take ages), then expect anything upto 12 weeks for it to be processed by NZ nursing council, will be worth getting it sorted as soon as.......
    Good luck