Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NZ Spouse Visa

Question NZ Spouse Visa

Hi all,

Am a UK resident on a SA/Zim passport moving to NZ with my SA/NZ passport wife. all her family are NZ and she has an NZ passport/citizenship via both her parents being NZ.

ANYWAY... the spouse visa cost £400+ from here, and takes ?how long? but as we hope to move in Feb I was wondering if anyone has any advice on my entering NZ on a holiday Visa [as i did when we went there to be married in 2003] and then doing the conversion to spouse visa "locally" at NZ$400 [and presumably much quicker there?]

Thanks,
    Neil

just bumping this one to see if anyone might know yet?

Hi Neil
    I'm a Kiwi who has applied under the partnership route for my British born wife-
    We applied on the 21st Nov-we had a letter back saying a case officer will be assigned within 8 weeks; then the decision(it should be automatic)will take between 2 and 4 months after a case officer has been assigned.
    We're in no hurry as we plan to move to NZ Aug/Sept 2007-but looking at your timescales I'd suggest you do it whilst residing in NZ.
    Hope this info helps and all the best for the future.

Steve

We're going for a spouse visa for my OH.

I'd love to have her apply once we're in NZ, but daren't risk having to move back the UK if she's turned down...

Her Dad has a heriditary health problem which might block the application and we'd rather pay the extra fees in the UK and save two lots of shipping costs if it all goes wrong.

But if you are certain your spouse won't have any health or criminal issues, I'd suggest applying from NZ to save both time and money.

Best of luck

Thumbs up

as I AM the spouse and have no health isues what you're saying [correct me if I'm wrong] is that it should be an automatic [if lengthy] process for me to follow from withing NZ?

thanks,
    Neil

Neil
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...nsormypartner/

Above is a link which will give you info on the partnership policy-my understanding is that as long as you meet above; the application outcome is guaranteed to be a positive result.
    I also remember reading somewhere that only two applications have ever been turned down on health grounds-one for severe disability; the other for cancer-and both of these were reversed after appeal to the NZ Immigration Minister.
    I agree with Wiki-apply from within NZ; it would have been my preferred option but my wife wants to have it before we go.............
    ...........I've learnt at times it's simply easier to agree with my good lady !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hope this helps.
    Steve

As I said in this thread http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9065

Nik submitted his PR (by partnership) application with the Auckland Central branch on 17 November. 8 Dec he received his passport and original documents back, along with a letter saying:

"We wish to advise you that, due to an overwhelming number of applications received by NZIS for your application category, we are currently unable to allocate your application to a specific case manager, and that it has been placed in a managed queue. Please be advised that it could take between six to nine months before you are allocated a specific case manager."

so while applying in NZ is cheaper, it's unlikely to be faster.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilV
    as I AM the spouse and have no health isues what you're saying [correct me if I'm wrong] is that it should be an automatic [if lengthy] process for me to follow from withing NZ?

thanks,
    Neil
    We went along to an immigration fair in York and talked to the NZIS staff who were super helpful and said:

"We really want New Zealanders to return, so we do everything we can to help partners get residency if it brings us a Kiwi home".

They also mentioned the medical appeals and that they are "almost always" overturned unless it's serious.

Still, I'm too practical to risk it (plus it gives us an excuse to save on UK wages for another six months or so)

Quote Originally Posted by roddixon
    Neil
    [url]
    I also remember reading somewhere that only two applications have ever been turned down on health grounds-one for severe disability; the other for cancer-and both of these were reversed after appeal to the NZ Immigration Minister.
    Hope this helps.
    Steve
    That little bit of info made me and OH dance around the room. It more than helped! Thank you

New info?

Is your partner or sponsor an expatriate
    New Zealander? Yes No
    Note: For the purposes of prioritising such applications
    , an expatriate New Zealander is either:
    i. A New Zealand citizen, or
    ii. the holder of an Indefinite Returning Residentís Visa, and has been absent from New Zealand for a period of at least two years prior to the date of this application (apart from short visits within that period).

Is this saying what I think it is? do you get prioritisation if you are partnered to an expat NZ'r?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast