Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sponsoring Parents...

i'd have to disagree with that. a residence permit is one which allows you to remain indefinitely in NZ. a work permit allows you to reside in NZ for a limited amount of time and is therefore not a residence permit.

LOL, well we were on visitors visas from when we arrived in Sept 04 until Nov 04 when Woz got his job... then PR March 2005.

I think I'll settle for March 2008

Phew..... I have read this and the IRRV thread...... And now Im really confused.

I know what you mean Debs - I think I'll just point my parents to this thread! I think they've joined the forum

I have a similar question regarding sponsoring parents for 2 years. The person was informed that they were allowed to travel outside the country (NZ) for less than 6 months and would still qualify with a returning VISA. They have been in NZ for 18 months. They went home for an emergency and came back to NZ within the 6 month 180 day time frame without jeopardsing their eresidency for their parent. There parent was allowed back into NZ. They have residency and a returingn VISa allowing travel overseas and coming back to NZ. Everything is fine in that regard.

The family sponsoring their parent have now struck financial hardship and in an emergency have gone to WINZ for assistance for their parent. They have sponsored their parent for the 2 years 18 months in NZ and less than 6 months (less than 180 day soverseas. They have been told that their parent does not qualify for any assistance as they left the country. WINZ has a different policy to qualify for any benefit for their parent they have to have live in NZ for 2 years as part of the sponsorship commitment. So now that are back at square one. they have to sponsor their parent for another 2 years continiously even though they have been here 18 months and went overseas for less than 180 days. WinZ does not recognise a break. they will have to sponsor their parent for another 2 years before they can seek any benefit assistance. IS this correct?

hi dean

what type of benefit is it that they are trying to claim from WINZ?

Damn! Back to square one!

I origianlly thought it was 3 years from date of residence (ie when you have a valid residence permit AND are in the country) - but then you (as in Moorf) found out that its 3 years from date of first "Residence" (Ie when you entered the country whther on a PR visa or not.

So basically we need confirmation of which is which - in writing from NZIS (to confirm the policy).

H,

Ill see if I can get anything - im on a bit of a "go slow" at the moment cos I keepgetting migraines - but Ill do my best

Dont worry - we WILL get this sorted.

Hxxx

I don't know exactly. There parent is closs to retirement around 63-64 years. So I guess it would be the unemployment or sickness benefit they want. Then eventually move on to the retirement pension. They are more interested in their rights and what they are entitled to. They don't want to keep supporting their parent indefinitely. And their intention is not bludge off the state. They pay taxes like everyone else. WINZ is so fractured they have a high turnover of staff. No one wants to work there because of stress, disgruntled customers and obviously the danger money of dealing with nutters. They are getting told different stories about what support they can get.

Does the parent have to live in NZ for 2 years continously for 2 year sponsorship before they can qualify for WINZ support? The parent has been outside NZ during the 2 year sponsorship. They have been sponsored for 18 months and travelled outside of the country for less than 180 days. Some of it was business related to sell their property to live permanently in NZ. The parent came back to NZ on a returning VISA less than 180 days not to jeopardise their NZ residency. All the paperwork was correctly filled in

It is the WINZ problem.
    WINZ says start again. They they have to start from zero again. The adult child will have to support her parent for another 2 years continously living in Nz before they qualify for any type of benefit. They want to know if this is correct.?Because they want to follow the rules and make surre they are not supporting their parent indefinitely. If this is correct thene their parent cannot travel outside of Nz as they are getting penalise and will stop them receiving any WINZ support.

These people are thinking they can't get any asisstance even though they were supporting the parent for 18 months and went overseas for less than 180 days. They want clarification of the rules. So they can make sure they follow the rules. The parent is close to retirement and should be entitled to a Nz pension but it is not going to happen if the parent travelz outside of NZ. I have ben told even if it is a holiday they (WINZ) says that "break" costs you (goes against you ) from qualifying for any WINZ support as you have not continously lived in Nz for 2 years.

What if there is a family illness and the parent wants to attend a funeral overseas. WINZ is almost saying you are a prisioner in Nz for 2 years before you can travel outide of NZ. There must be compassionate grounds to be allowed to travel outisde of Nz for less than 180 days? It is all so bizarre...

People complain about the govt agency WINZ because they get the run around. You get told completely different information.

The other govenment agency Immigration says you can travel outside NZ even if you are being sponsored for 2 years because they recognise people need to travel, business interests, settling down, selling property etc. This person is renting their flat and from time to time needs to travel overseas etc to check. But WINZ says no assistance unless you have live in Nz continiously for 2 years according to the letter of the law regarding the sponsorship laws. Is this correct?

Ok – these are just my thoughts and its not an area I know too much about – but there is a lot of information available on the Work and Income website (http://www.workandincome.govt.nz)

From what you are saying it sounds as though the family have fulfilled their obligations as sponsors and the parent now has full permanent residence? On that basis:

I don’t think the parent would be eligible for NZ superannuation (pension) in the near future. You have to have lived in NZ for 10 years to qualify.

Unemployment benefit is the main one where you have to have lived in NZ for 2 years continuously. A temporary absence for a holiday or work trip may still be counted as living in NZ but a longer trip (such as the one you describe) looks as though it would not. You also have to be actively looking for full-time work to claim unemployment benefit.

Sickness benefit also normally requires 2 years residence as above but I think you can be granted “sickness benefit on the grounds of hardship” before that time. Also an emergency benefit can sometimes be paid to people who are not eligible for any other benefit. Both sickness benefit on the grounds of hardship and emergency benefit are income and asset means tested.

Is the parent not entitled to an overseas pension from whichever country they have moved from?

Quote Originally Posted by Trigirl
    i'd have to disagree with that. a residence permit is one which allows you to remain indefinitely in NZ. a work permit allows you to reside in NZ for a limited amount of time and is therefore not a residence permit.
    Not a permanent residence permit, which is not what I said, but a work permit is certainly a permit entitling residence within NZ, and is accepted as such by NZIS.

I've emailed my case officer to confirm the parental sponsorship question though.
    I'm not able to sponsor my parents as my father has had heart surgery, which precludes him under the medical.
    They wouldn't actually want to move permanently, I think they like having the option of extended visits all over the world to check on their various offspring...

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast