Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Study for that driver's test!

Default Study for that driver's test!

Finally got all my car stuff squared away with the man today. For good measure, I went to convert my California driver's license to a NZ one. So I plunked down my $85, posed for what I'm sure will be a gruesome picture, and filled in what I hoped were the correct answers to the theory test.

Well, the test didn't go stunningly well, got 30 instead of the required 32, so I went up and asked for another copy, only to find out they charge $40 or $50 per test attempt. Ouch.

In California and Illinois, you can try the written test as many times as you want for free. It never even occurred to me that they would charge.

Just thought this might help someone else out.

PS: I did pass on my second try - 34 out of 35. Woo hoo!
    Last edited by sweetpea; 1st December 2006 at 11:34 PM.

We are from England sweetpea, and my OH did exactly the same thing (I only laugh cause he brags alot about passing his driving test in England first time, it took me a couple of goes.)

Another thing... watch out because the answers are multiple choice & you have to scratch silver stuff off the top of the correct answer - your test answer is void if you scratch a bit of another answer off as my very disgusted hubby found out.

He had 35/35 right - took it to the desk & the chap at the AA looked at the front of the test said 'that's fine', then turned it over & moved it across the desk - in doing so scratched part of the front of the test, turned it back & told my hubby that he'd scratched off a bit of a second answer on the front of the test. When Ian tried to argue & tell the guy that he'd just watched him do it the fella got very shirty - so he was officially given 34/35 and was not very pleased.

What sort of questions are we talking here? AND do you do a practical test if you have a UK licence? AND where do you do it in Auckland?

Thanks,
    Dawn

thanks for the info... I would not have known about the extra charge for additional tries! we need to go get new licenses soon.

Quote Originally Posted by willowshouse
    What sort of questions are we talking here? AND do you do a practical test if you have a UK licence? AND where do you do it in Auckland?

Thanks,
    Dawn
    Its similar to the English theory test, basically testing your knowledge of the highway code. Stopping distances, what do certain signs mean that type of thing. You don't have to sit a practical test if you take the theory test before your year is up. Can't answer the last part of your question though, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by willowshouse

Thanks,
    Dawn
    Hiya Dawn,

Here are the details for Drivers Licencing Agents in the Auckland region:

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/licensing/ge...-auckland.html

Good luck,

Jen

I took my test last week at the AA centre in Albany, North Shore - it was pretty easy in my opinion - just common sense. You need to take with you: your passport, a recent utility bill to prove your address and your old licence.

another thing for you lot with kids coming up to 15/16, as to register for your learners its $89, he then paid $89 to do the theory - failed and took it again a week later - another $$$ - he passed and then $24 if you want to apply for an exemption(As Jordon had held a learner licence in the uk for 2 yrs he can apply to have it converted)
    This took 6wks and sending his original UK learner to the head office in Washington.
    He finally got the letter to say he doesnt have to wait 6mths on a learners and can go sit the practical test to apply for his restricted.....Another $89!!! and another eyetest!..which he is not looking forward to as his eyesight isnt a hundred percent but he passed the first.

So be prepared to get your younguns to practice the road book - and you can buy the tests, they charge you, but they are the same as the real tests....

cheers

Kat

Quote Originally Posted by katandbob
    another thing for you lot with kids coming up to 15/16, as to register for your learners its $89, he then paid $89 to do the theory - failed and took it again a week later - another $$$ - he passed and then $24 if you want to apply for an exemption(As Jordon had held a learner licence in the uk for 2 yrs he can apply to have it converted)
    This took 6wks and sending his original UK learner to the head office in Washington.
    He finally got the letter to say he doesnt have to wait 6mths on a learners and can go sit the practical test to apply for his restricted.....Another $89!!! and another eyetest!..which he is not looking forward to as his eyesight isnt a hundred percent but he passed the first.

So be prepared to get your younguns to practice the road book - and you can buy the tests, they charge you, but they are the same as the real tests....

cheers

Kat
    oh and I forgot to say that once he passes the practical test he has to wait 18mths before he can take the full test - or if he pays to do a defensive driving course then he can knock off 6mths, so it will take him a year to get his full licence, If we want him to take a passenger - ie Jason to college - then I have to send $24 to apply for another exemption!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast