Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help please - character waiver ???

Thumbs down Help please - character waiver ???

I 've done a check on previous threads but not really brought anything useful up .

DH was a bit naughty 14 years ago (pre me ! ) & NZIS have asked us for details so they can consider a character waiver . Please anyone with any details - could you let me know - basically I know what we need to write - foolishness of youth , long time ago , exemplary citizen since etc etc .

If you are'nt comfortable posting about your experience I'd appreciate a PM & promise to be very discreet .

please please don't let us fall down this far in

vic x

Hi Vic

Can't help with the question, but just wanted to say good luck and I really really hope this works out. I'm sure if this was 14 years ago and you can get some "up-standing" members of society to write character references it will be OK. It's amazing how often you hear of thing we did in the past come back to haunt us. Got everything crossed for you.

Thanks nicola & to those who PM'd me .

Well after a fraught weekend we've written our letter to our case officer - Natalie Swann - full of the obligatory groveling . DH has been quiet & upset all weekend - poor thing - it seems very unfair as he was young & silly . But we understand rules are rules .

Mind you Mum informs me this week that the paedofile rapist who won the lottery here in the UK whilst on parole has been granted residency under the investor category & has been granted a new NZ identity - just let them not let us in for something & nothing - grr

I realise that this is an extremly sensitive issue & once again wish to thank all who took the time to PM me with their individual accounts of character waiver

heres to success

vic x

Hi all

Just wanted to bump this up to the top again in the hope that it might help someone else . We wrote our letter for DH & I'm pleased to announce DH has his character waiver .

Important to remember to be honest , & forthright about what happened & why , Why its important for you to go to NZ & express regret at the incident . Also mention your model citizenship since .

..... think thats all , like I said i just hope that anyone else searching for positive experiences of character waiver might find this & get some reassurance .

vic x

congrats!

This case sounds very much like ours, except my partner wasn't asked for a character waiver, I only found out about them this week when somebody referred me to the NZIS operations manual.

My partner applied under the skilled migrant category and his application has been declined, when he asked why they told him it was because of character, he says he can't understand it because it was just misdemeanors and it was in '93. So, I've been googling and reading forums trying to see if there is something we can do, which is how I first learned about character waivers.

I noticed that mossum said that NZIS asked them for information so that they could consider a character waiver, but my partner wasn't asked about that, so I am wondering if he can apply and what he would need to do.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by mossum View Post
    Thanks nicola & to those who PM'd me .

Well after a fraught weekend we've written our letter to our case officer - Natalie Swann - full of the obligatory groveling . DH has been quiet & upset all weekend - poor thing - it seems very unfair as he was young & silly . But we understand rules are rules .

Mind you Mum informs me this week that the paedofile rapist who won the lottery here in the UK whilst on parole has been granted residency under the investor category & has been granted a new NZ identity - just let them not let us in for something & nothing - grr

I realise that this is an extremly sensitive issue & once again wish to thank all who took the time to PM me with their individual accounts of character waiver

heres to success

vic x
    I cannot believe what i have just read. NZIS have let a Paedophile into the country, a rapist to boot, and given him a new identity, all because he has won the lottery!!!! Sorry, call me old fashioned, but HOW can this happen, is it true money talks? As soon as the person arrived on the soil of the Big Cloud, someone should have been there to drop him into the sea a long way from land (or would that be pollution)

Whats the next move of this person (with the new identity) apply for a job in education, welfare, health care, or god forbid, child services.

Sorry to rant, but this kind of thing turns my stomach.

jh
    Last edited by jailhouse; 17th February 2007 at 11:20 PM.

Default help!! please!!

If you are uncomfortable about replying please send me a pm, I'm feeling rather lost here and not sure where else to turn, I felt sure somebody here would be able to help. As mossum said I realise this is a sensitive issue and I completely understand that, but if you feel comfortable please pm me, I would really appreciate it.

I was a little surprised to read that you had been declined. We arrived in May 04 and initially applied for a two year work permit. Now, my OH has a checkered past also , He never served time and his last offence was 1989 I think. We explained this to the immigration officer and he asked that we produce a police certificate to check, which we did. They checked it over and were happy, they could clearly see that OH is now a mature family man and this was more of a misspent youth kinda thing. By the time it came to applying for PR, it never came up as an issue. Do you have the option to appeal?

Well, my partner is still in america (maybe it would have been simpler if he'd come here on a visitors visa and then looked into something else. hindsight hey :/) and I was thinking maybe NZIS figured if they declined it he wouldn't be bothered pursuing it any further. But it all seems a little hinky to me as I phoned NZIS on friday to ask some general questions (like how do we apply for a character waiver which I didn't get a straight answer to) and they said it should say exactly why he was declined on his letter, but he told me that all they said was it was declined, so he asked why and they just said character. So, I don't really know what's going on
    Maybe we've just been dealing with the wrong people.
    And I'm still trying to find out anything I can about character waivers, I've been feeling like this is a brick wall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast