Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Definition TV in NZ

Question High Definition TV in NZ

Somebody has probebly asked this already. I searched but couldn't find anything...

I'm thinking about buying a new HDTV in the UK and would like to bring it with me to NZ. This is not going to be a cheap purchase and I want to ensure it will be future-proof.

Are there anyway high definition channels in NZ? Are there any planned for the future?

Has anyone taken their HD ready TV with them from the UK and does it work ok in NZ?

Still on 425 lines down there!

Seriously, will have a look around but don't think there are any plans as yet.

I have heard that Sky will be rolling out HDTV sometime in 2008. I cant find a link right now but I'll look for it.

Sean

Been having a scan around, and it seems that there are a few different systems vying for the top spot. There is a european standard that differs from the US, and the Japanese also have another standard.

I have filched somebodys info that I found useful for you.

"After a bit of time to think and research after the initial excitement of the Freeview announcement last week, I have the following predictions on Freeview and HDTV in New Zealand:

* Freeview set top boxes will be standard definition (MPEG 2, DVD like quality) only initially due the pure cost of the units. HDTV capable receivers are still pretty expensive right now. I will try and get this confirmed from Freeview New Zealand (currently I am questioning TVNZ on Freeviews behalf).
    * HDTV content and HDTV capable set top boxes will arrive after (probably at least a year after) the initial release of Freeview in New Zealand.
    * The introduction of HDTV Freeview in New Zealand will most likely follow the standards being trialled in the UK right now by the BBC which use MPEG4 with H.264.
    * Sky New Zealand will no doubt introduce HDTV Sky before Freeview HDTV in a defensive move to keep subscribers.

Some interesting links:
    Freeview set top boxes in the UK http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/freeviewreceivers.html
    HDTV UK FAQ http://www.burnyourbonus.co.uk/hdtv-faq/faq1.html
    New Zealand and Aussie Satellite TV info http://www.apsattv.com/"

So according to this NZ is looking to follow the UK MPEG-4 standard, so it may be good news for us UK peeps if we take HDTV sets with us.

Steve

There was an item on Fair Go (IIRC) about someone who bought a supposed HDTV from one of the retailers, which then wouldn't work with his playstation or something. The upshot is that the term "HDTV" doesn't have a meaning yet in NZ due to the fact (already mentioned) that there are several standards, and we haven't picked one yet. So whatever you buy and bring over, maybe it'll work in the future, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by b&k
    High Definition TV in NZ
    No.

We brought our 40" HDTV from the U.S., and we've got the Sky signal run through an NTSC->PAL video converter, which works just fine. The picture is good, but a large HDTV obviously magnifies the distortions inherent in the signal you get from NZ Sky. Don't expect anything near the quality you had in the UK/US. However, the HDTV still looks fabulous for DVDs.

They don't sell HDTVs here (reasons listed above). The guy who installed our Sky said that they're always getting repair calls from customers complaining that there's something wrong with their Sky connection, because the picture is crap compared to how it looked on the same TV in the store. The installer said that the problem is not the Sky connection; it's that stores like Noel Leeming and Bond + Bond run their Sky signal through a big amplifier to make the picture look much nicer in the store, and of course the salespeople never tell the customers that their Sky at home isn't going to look as good on the TV that they're buying.

It's likely going to be a few years before HDTV makes an official appearance here, in TVs and in Sky signal. So it's your call whether to bring an HDTV from the UK. Ours was only 2 years old and we couldn't stand to give it up; we knew we couldn't buy anything as nice here (and certainly not without paying twice as much all over again).

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo-and-jeff

They don't sell HDTVs here...
    Err, yes all the major retailers do! just make sure it's a 1080p set...
    Last edited by Big Puku; 15th December 2006 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Puku
    Err, yes all the major retailers do! just make sure it's a 1080p set...
    When we looked 6 months ago, we couldn't find a single one. We saw some that were claimed to be "HDTV", but in fact were not. Perhaps that's changed now.

Jo

At present NZ is not slated to even decide on a terrestrial broadcast HDTV standard until 2008.

Default No Mention of HDMI?

Don't bet on NZ having true HD transmissions for probably 10 years or so. Even in the US true HD transmission is marginally better than earlier standard definition transmissions. In fact, you'll find most big dish satellite C-Band system on analog net as good or better picture quality as HDTV.

The problem isn't due to the compatability or numerous different standards. The main problem is NZ broadcasters don't have the hardware to support true HD transmissions. Sure many TV studios have HD cameras and mastering equipment but the problem lies in trying to get that quality to the home living rooms? The real issue is lack of infrastructure to broadcast in REAL HD quality. I havn't heard of any plans from Sky TV where they will be launching satellites that can supply the required bandwidth for true HD quality. All in all, it really depends on the level of compression used in the transmission (which may explain why dealers selling the big TVs have a better picture quality than what you can get at home).

Sure there will be talks of others putting out set top boxes that support HD but the real truth is at best, consumers will only get a HIGHLY COMPRESSED digital feed that goes through a HD decoder box. I don't care what Sky or other technicians say, the more you compress the signal, the worse the picture becomes.

If you want real HD quality, i'm afraid you're best best is in a non-HD transmissionable format. Look in the future of Blu-ray or HD-DVD format. However, just because your plasma TV says "HDTV ready" don't be surprise that your HD DVD/BluRay player won't work on it. The reason is many flat panel TVs sold in NZ in the past were not HDMI compliant. Sure they can take a 720P or 1080i feed but the issue lies in the controlling of this video transmission.

The US has had considerable battles in sorting out the HD rights which led to the formation of HDCP compliancy. Although it's common for people today to copy the latest DVD movies you hire, don't bet the next format (Blu-ray/HD-DVD) to be as easily hackable. The movie industry was adamant by pushing HDCP compliancy in all the major manufacturers' units.

HDCP works by having ALL hardware in the chain having this HDCP chip in each unit. The DVD player, the video processor, the flat panel HD display MUST have this HDCP chip so the units can talk to each other. If there is a breach in the HDCP security or if it's connected to a non-HDCP unit, then the video will default to standard video resolution. Another level of security is added by allowing the HDCP unit to connect online for "playback authorisation".

HDMI is already HDCP compliant so look for any hardware that has HDMI connections. Don't be surprised you'll find any stand alone DVD Recorders that have HDMI Inputs.... lol. You're most likely only going to find stuff that records HD quality in analog video format or use of the DVi format. But nothing in HDMI.

BQ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast