Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bird that sounds like a squeaky gate

Default Bird that sounds like a squeaky gate

I know this is a well known kiwi bird as I remember my friend talking about it when I was here in feb. So does anyone know what its called. It makes an incessant squeaky noise like a rusty gate.

One has taken up residence outside the window and I'd really like to be able to address it by name next time i swear at it

It's a tui.....

most people love 'em.
    hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Trigirl
    ... I'd really like to be able to address it by name next time i swear at it...
    Funny, I've been thinking more along the lines of "where can I find a gun shop?"

Jo

You won't like this link then.

thats the little so and so.

no sign of it today - probably cos it chucking it down!

Do you really all find the sound of Tui's annoying?

We have lots near us and I just love their song!! It'll be a sound I really miss when I go back home.....

Whilst we're on the subject of birds - does anybody know which bird makes an almost 4 part descending song? I know that sounds odd but if you've heard it you'll understand what I mean. Don't find it annoying, just curious.....

L

Don't seek to cure the symptoms - cure the source of the problem. Tui's are great mimics. Find the gate that is squeaking and oil it. In a few weeks the Tui will stop mimicing the squeak.

We had a pair that visited often especially when the Kowhai trees were in bloom, they used to mimic door bells, telephones, car alarms - you name it. One of the things I really miss about NZ.

I love the Tuis and their odd little songs. My house is even called Tui Lodge and has a window in the door with Tuis etched into the glass. (Very twee but was there when I moved in!)

Are they like the NZ version of Minah birds then??? Sound cool, although I'll reserve judgement for when I am being woken by them at some unholy hour

Quote Originally Posted by spudulike
    Whilst we're on the subject of birds - does anybody know which bird makes an almost 4 part descending song? I know that sounds odd but if you've heard it you'll understand what I mean. Don't find it annoying, just curious.....

L
    This site may help, you can listen to the songs http://www.nzbirds.com/birds/index.html. I'd listen myself but my loudspeakers are kaput.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast