Thread: Manukau/South Auckland

Default Manukau/South Auckland

I'm currently part way through the interview process for a job in Manukau; we'd be moving with our children from the UK. We had not originally planned to settle in Auckland; however the job is just what I'm looking for. Before going into the next interview I'd like to have more idea as to whether it is somewhere we'd like to live. I know that the centre is quite industrial, but I'm happy to drive 30 to 40 minutes to work.

Does anyone know the area?

Can anyone recommend which are the nicest residential areas, within 30 minutes. Anyone know much about the schools?

Thanks
    Richard

I personnaly would not live there but travel 40 mins either north or south and you have some great areas - depending on what you want. North you have the suburban areas of East Auckland, Howick, pakuranga etc (were I live) and then a bit further the North shore. These are very much suburbs of the city but all have access to great beaches and schools and shops. South you can find some lovely towns in there own right. Check a map but Pukekohe would be approx. a 30 min drive on the motorway. Nice self contained town with everything you need and you can choose rural, semi rural or town. Plenty of other places like that. My advice would be to try and get a short term rental and then spend some time driving round to find the area you want to live in. No were is really far TBH.

Good Luck

Dan

Like Dan said, you have got options, some parts of Manukau itself arent that bad, for instance Manukau Heights has a good rep. There is also the Wattle Cove development where Marie P & Singel live, nice school for primary/intermediate kids. Then you have got Howick etc which is where I live, and is very nice with good schools, approx 20mins to manukau, even in rush hour!

Have a look for posts by Jameelka, they live further into the sticks in Waiuku south of Auckland, and also travel into Manukau for work.

You wont know until you get here really whats going to suit you and your family.

Welcome to the forum

Marie P and I are living in Wattle Cove which is 15 mins drive from Manukau City : http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5785

Marie's kids attend the new decile 8 primary and intermediate school in Wattle Cove.

Please feel free to ask if you need more info.

Hi Rich,
    We live in Eastern Beach nr Howick which comes under Manukau City Council, and can drive to Manukau City in 20-30 mins depending on time of day. We've only been here 6 weeks and have 3 of our 4 kids in very good schools here:
    Macleans College http://www.macleans.school.nz/
    BBI (Bucklands Beach Intermediate) http://www.bbi.school.nz/
    Pigeon Mountain Primary http://www.pigeon-mountain.school.nz/

Pls ask if you would like further info.
    Something to watch for is the variation in house prices across Manukau, sometimes affected by school zones.

Good luck,

Gil

My daughter's schoolfriend's Dad is a police officer - he wouldn't recommend it!

My advice would be - don't let the area your job is in dictate where you live. My friend works in Manukau and lives in the Eastern Suburbs (Kohimarama).

Manukau would not make the top 100 of places I would live in NZ, but I could find somewhere I'd be happy to live that was not too far a commute and even though I wouldn't live there I might well take a job there.

Dawn

Hi,
    Yes we live out in the sticks!!
    Rented in Waiuku for just over 3 months, that's about 40 mins drive to Manakau.James (husband wks there for Bluebird) and I will be starting to wk for Air New Zealand soon up at the airport, (for those who have seen my previous posts did n't take Menzies job offer! this was better!).
    On 16/12 we moved out to Maramaru (state highway 2) just off the Pink Pig cafe, about 10 mins after the Castle Cafe! bad rd the highway, lots of accidents, but we love it here.
    Have 2.5 acres out in the country, and our 2 girls (9 and 11) will be going to the local school a few mins down the rd by school bus, with only 60 pupils!
    Our local is Pukekohe, about 20mins from here, seem to be able to get most bits there and a decent place, although expanding extremely quickly, lots of sections and houses for sale, same as Waiuku.
    The girls go swimming in Pukekohe and Katie rides at Chester stables,I shop at Pak N Save, and they have the normal shops like Mitre 10 and Warehouse, plus lots of others.
    So all in all we are settled and happy! and the commute to Manakau from here is the same for James as it was from Waiuku, unless of course it's a Friday bank holiday!
    If u need anyother info just let us know.
    Happy New Year to everyone!
    Mel

I work in Manukau and live in Howick. It takes me 20-30 min to drive to work (usually 30). I love Howick and the commute is not that bad. I'm a little worried that the commute will get a lot worse when Flat Bush is built. Some of my co-workers live south of the city (way south) but because the office is just off the motorway, their commute is about the same as mine. Dannemora is also a popular place to live.
    Hope that helps.

Jameelka, I drove past your house today, but did not realise until on the way back and saw the Castle Cafe! Lovely bit of the countryside you have there!

Default Thanks

Thanks for the information everyone; plenty to think about!

Have a Happy New Year.

Richard