Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: soya mince?

Default soya mince?

Hi everyone

I am not a strict vegetarian, but i do prefer to use soya mince for myself and the kids for standard meals like chili's, bolognase, cottage pie etc, - I always used Quorn in the UK the same goes for veggie sausages - i know i am probably looking in the wrong places but i can not seem to find any here?

Can anyone point me in the right direction and/or recommend a brand

Sue

Quorn isn't available here. You can get 'mince' in cans at most supermarkets - I personally hate it but I'm not a great fan of fake meat as a general rule, so don't take it from me.

As to sausages, I like the 'Bean Supreme' brand - they're available in several different flavours.

There are some frozen soy products at the Pac N Save near Botany. Limited choice and quite expensive I'm afraid.

Hi
    I'm still bemoaning the absence of Quorn products even after a year of being here.
    You can get TVP soya mince in Harveys health shop and it makes a tolerable spag. bol or chilli. It's made by Lotus $4.90 for 200g. (it's dried up brown stuff in the bag but you soak it with a bit of water and use it in recipes instead of mince).

Give it a try it's not too bad!

k-k

Hi there,

You can get frozen Fry's veggie mince (We bought ours from Foodtown but I think others stock it too). Not quite as good as Quorn but OK.

Sharon

Hope this isn't too off-topic, but is Tofu available in NZ? Not a vegetarian, either, but it's a good way to stretch the meal and add protein...
    Ana

Tofu is very widely available (I've yet to come across it a supermarket without several kinds). I understand there's a whole shop devoted to it in auckland, but I'm not sure where.

Ana - Tofu is available in most of the grocery stores around where I am (not a big city).

Sue - I have to second k-k -- my favorite mince is the Harvey's Store's Lotus dried tvp crumbles in a bag. I buy dried mushrooms too and put some in the water before I boil it; then it rehydrates the mince with more flavor. I actually use it to make a meatless meatloaf with cheese that comes out really well (I think, but hey I haven't had meat in years).

Thanks it's off to Harvey's tomorrow then - by the way any chance of the receipe for your cheesey meatloaf Jess it sounds delish!

I am rather a new convert to vegetarian cooking and am avidly collecting recepies and ideas/tips - any would be gratefully received as i am boring my kids to death at the mo.with my efforts! I have a couple of good books but they are yet to arrive from the UK and i am afraid the library does not have much to choose from.

Regards

Sue

sue - this might help - lots of good recipes gathered from various websites

http://www.arts.dmoz.co.nz/index.php...ng/Vegetarian/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast