Thread: DIY Interisland Move?

Default DIY Interisland Move?

Anyone have experience moving between islands in NZ? We are moving from Dunedin, South Island to Wellington, North Island sometime in the next month or so. So far, it seems like moving from the US to NZ was easier and cheaper than moving the same contents between islands. Are there any DIY truck rentals that don't charge a $400 island relocation fee in addition to the one way relocation fee and a per km fee? It looks like it may be cheaper to use a removal company. Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Just nudging it up the queue in case anyone that can help hasn't seen this.

It may well be cheaper to move from the US.

I've no experience of interisland but have you tried ringing some Welly firms to see if they want a full load on a return trip? Try the yellow pages but Conroys or Mana Transport spring to mind. I know that some of them advertise this service on the side of their trucks.

Hope you've got your kiwi accent voice synthesizer on, just to give you some idea of the cost we had for a 3 bed and office, garage etc,

Miramar to Eastbourne - full pack and transport $2,200
    Eastbourne to rural Wanganui - $2,600 approx (from memory)

Our current kiwi landlord moved further and had more stuff 5 bedrooms etc - rural Wangers to Cambridge Waikato - $1600.

Thank you Smiler!

Conroys has beat the other quotes by 40%! So far they have been very helpful on the phone as well. For others who may be moving, here's a breakdown of what we have found so far:

Small move: 3 cubic meters

Rental truck (One Way): $400 interisland relocation fee + $400 one way drop off fee + $200 ferry + $165 truck rental per day + Per km fee of $0.35 + Petrol, +GST

Conroy Removals: $540 door to door includes GST (owner pack).

Other removal companies: $800-$900.

Pretty easy decision for me-Conroys it is. I'm so excited about the move to Welly. I'm off to pack

Hi there, we were considering moving from Welly to Chch for a year before we went home but it was almost as expensive as moving back home so we just brought that plan forward.

We have found Conroy's to be really helpful, also there is Royal Wolf who you can hire the container from if you wanted to self pack and they would collect and deliver. They were also really helpful and never mentioned a relocation fee.

Good luck

Thank you Spudulike-I'm glad to hear you found Conroys helpful.

I forgot to put in my last post that for anyone moving pets within NZ, Air NZ will let you take any pet (under 32kg) on any flight that you're ticketed on for $50 per pet and they do not count against your luggage allowance. Larger pets can fly on the jets but not the flights from smaller towns.

Since I'm the one that gets sea sick, OH will take the car over on the ferry and I'll fly with the cats

try going on http://www.backloadmoving.co.nz/ thats a company that will help source anyone who has delivered in your region and returning with an empty truck. the phone number is on the website.
    Last edited by veronica; 11th January 2007 at 10:40 AM.

Just to add some more (I was half asleep this morning)

Crown moved us from Miramar to EB, would have used them again but their quote from EB to Wanganui was $3,200 and they wouldn't budge on it.

Conroys quoted $2,900 and I haggled them down to $2,800 (not $2,600)

We had difficult access at the house with 46 step's to the front door.

We had 2 other companies quote, Mana Transport plus one other. They were around the same price range but I had no follow up after the quote, not a phone call, nothing. So I went with the company, Conroy's, that did seem more interested in the job and who did follow up their quote.

For anyone who is interested, Conroys also collected 2 large sofa's from Churton Park and delivered them to EB for $90. I thought that was good value for money.

Our landlord was shocked at the price we were charged for moving, he had more stuff and travelled double the distance. I told him it was my UK accent. Once we were moved in, OH needed some aerial towers moved down from South Auckland. I was quoted in excess of $600. Our landlord a kiwi, called the company and they quoted him $150. The bill came in at $137. inc GST.

HTH.

P.S. Like your tip Veronica, but it won't let me give you any nice rep points.
    Last edited by Smiler; 11th January 2007 at 06:16 PM. Reason: added some more waffle.

Update: We ended up going with Conroy Removals. The price was great and we received our stuff yesterday. If your shipment is time sensitive, they might not be the best option as we were delayed on both the pick-up and drop-off, but if price and service are your priorities, they fit the bill fine. In fairness to them, like any other company, it only takes one person not passing on a message to cause problems, but they worked quickly to correct the problems when confronted with them.
    Last edited by khhill; 10th February 2007 at 01:21 PM.

Cheers for the update and I'm glad that you managed to sort it out.