Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maori Concerts

Default Maori Concerts

Hi
    Can anyone recommend a good Maori concert anywhere? We're planning our recce trip/ holiday and would like to take in a concert. We do have a 4 yr old though so evening tours although possible, are probably not the best. Are there any decent day time performances anywhere? We'll be visiting Christchurch, Nelson, Wellington, Rotorua & Auckland. Rotorua is probably best for this kind of thing but do day time shows exist?

Thanks

Two I know of: there's one at the hot pool park - in Rotorua (http://www.nzmaori.co.nz/) and also one in the Gondola restaurant complex in Queenstown (http://www.skyline.co.nz/). They'll be more posts, I'm sure.

You could contact NZ tourist info for more?
    Last edited by TFR; 4th January 2007 at 04:21 AM.

Hi
    when we went to Rotorua last year we went to a Maori concert in the Whakawerawera thermal reserve, it was only about 40 mins long and you got free entry to the concert included in the entrance cost of the reserve, it was at lunchtime so made a welcome sit down after walking around the reserve.
    Have a good trip
    Brian and Jan
    Last edited by Brijan; 4th January 2007 at 08:16 PM. Reason: typo

In Christchurch....

http://www.kotane.co.nz/

This is a great show, quite interactive, would be fine to take a littl'un too, and you can also go on to tour the Wildlife park (it's held at Willowbank Wildlife Park) and kiwi's!!

We didn't have the Hangi dinner/buffet as we thought it was a bit dear - but then you'll be on your lovely UK £'s won't you to you'll probably think it's cheap!!

We didn't have the Hangi dinner/buffet as we thought it was a bit dear - but then you'll be on your lovely UK £'s won't you to you'll probably think it's cheap!!
    Nice one! If only our UK £'s weren't rapidly disappearing on medical fees, ITA fees, recce trip that we didn't originally plan to take, copious amounts of paint to get the house into a saleable condition, etc, etc

Thanks for your suggestions everyone - the Christchurch one looks good for the little'un - anything too long and life becomes too stressful!

There are a lot of these around but we were advised to wait until we went to Rotorua and do the 'Tamaki Brothers' one by a NZ'er who has been to more than one. It's a show and a hangi and a look around the village - have a look at

http://www.maoriculture.co.nz

We thoroughly enjoyed it - one of our best touristy experiences here.

Dawn

Just a question - has anyone been to the Rotoiti Tours one on Lake Rotoiti? Or to the Te Puia one this summer?? We're travelling up to Rotorua next month and have seen it advertised. I was recommended the Te Puia one by my boss who has been to a few up there over the years, but it was in the news that the Maori group that were working there when he recommended it were no longer working there.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahw
    Just a question - has anyone been to the Rotoiti Tours one on Lake Rotoiti? Or to the Te Puia one this summer?? We're travelling up to Rotorua next month and have seen it advertised. I was recommended the Te Puia one by my boss who has been to a few up there over the years, but it was in the news that the Maori group that were working there when he recommended it were no longer working there.
    We went to the Te Puia Park last March and had a very good time. In addition to the concert we walked around the thermal park, went through the museum and Maori wood-carving school, and saw kiwis in their nocturnal house, all for the entry price, $18NZ per. There was a Hungi after the concert, (I think it was extra money) but we left as we were eager to meet up with friends in Taupo.
    The performers walked out a few months ago, but it is still advertised on the site. I got the impression it was just an argument between the organizers and the performers, and they've since made amends.
    Here's a link to the site. Te Puia
    Have fun!
    Ana

Quote Originally Posted by willowshouse
    There are a lot of these around but we were advised to wait until we went to Rotorua and do the 'Tamaki Brothers' one by a NZ'er who has been to more than one. It's a show and a hangi and a look around the village - have a look at

http://www.maoriculture.co.nz

We thoroughly enjoyed it - one of our best touristy experiences here.

Dawn
    We did this too, it was fab and we really enjoyed it.

While in Rotorua we went here with our 4 & 2 year old:

www.geyserland.co.nz

They really enjoyed it and a good tip is to take the tour, they weren't too interested in the visit to the wood carving room (although we were), but they did enjoy the trip round the park on the 'waka' train.

Be warned, of the couple of Maori concerts I've been to there has always been a child who cried. I think some can find it a bit scary, but according to my 2 "the shouting is the best bit".

Cheers

Tia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast