Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NZ Dentists - how do they work please?

found them here: http://www.southerncross.co.nz/ , thank you, I'll have a looksee. Cheers

Hi

Hope I may be able to help a little here .

I am a dental assistant here in Christchurch - Perhaps Ch Ch is reasonable - or I work for a practice that has reasonable fees - who knows ???

A check up is $ 61-71 including x rays , a 30 minute hygienist visit is $75 . I have to say that the general standard of dentistry that i have seen is very high - I worked at NHS practices in the UK for 12 years . Examinations are very thorough & x rays are standard at each exam . We recall our patients on an as needed basis - dependant on their decay rate - some at 3 months but most at 12 months . I have to say that NHS dentistry is artificially low priced - I understand that many of you may not agree - but thats why your NHS dentist is so chaotic - its a bit like pak n save stack em high & sell em cheep !!

There are no schemes such as cigna/ practice plan or denplan availiable - in fact most kiwis seem baffled when I talk about them , rather lots of our patients pay $x a week by direct debit to the practice - allowing them to keep an account open with credit on it .

I would suggest having any crown work done before arrival crown & bridge work is EXPENSIVE !!!! - shop around and see what you can get price wise £250 might seem expensive but - its a whole lot cheeper than $1000 per crown .

Most importantly take advise from other people - what you pay for is not always what you get - If colleagues reccomend someone - its worth trying them out . There appears to be no shortage of dentists here so changing practice is not hard .

Hope that I've been helpful - any more specific questions - I'm more than happy to answer .

Right off to have a tidy & then a nice potter around the garden .

vic x

Vic

Good post thanks.

Can I pick your brains some more please? Is there a professional standards body I should look for when choosing a dentist?

I'm finding it difficult, you can't walk in and test drive one to make sure they are ok first (for scaredy cats like me).

Hey Vic - thank you for posting - very much appreciated. I've PM'd you!

Hi smiler ,

I'll have a little ask at work & let you know . I'm still getting my head around all that kind of stuff .

vic x

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12