Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about being an eligible sponsor

Default Question about being an eligible sponsor

Hi everyone.

I have a PR visa that was granted to me through my father (he was the principal applicant). During the application process, he made me sign an affidavit (evidence that I'm still dependent on my parents) stating I am dependent on my parents and that I am single, not in a relationship and not living in with a partner (although I am in a relationship with someone but we are not living in together).

I have a partner who I wish to get here in NZ and intend to apply for a working visa under the family stream. My question is would the affidavit I signed before have bearing if I try to sponsor my partner?

My understanding of the word "relationship" in the immigration website means that you and your partner have lived in together and we have not. So I am hoping that even though I stated in the affidavit that I am not in a relationship and not living in with a partner, he can still get a work visa under the family stream category.

It's a bit confusing but I hope you guys get what I'm trying to ask. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

All the best for 2007!

dont think it will happen unless you can prove relationship, ie. shared lease/rent agreements, bank accounts, etc. for over a year. They are really strict on this. Whereabouts is your partner from and are they under 30 because if so they would more than likely qualify to come over here on the young persons working holiday visa. this would give them one or two years here to sort out a job and apply through normal channels.

thanks for your answer veronica. i'm browsing through a lot of the topics in the forum and other forums as well to get more information. but how about the affidavit, would that have any bearing if i try to sponsor my partner? even under the family (Partner) Sponsored Work visa?

To be honest, I think you will have problems. The reason they're so careful is they don't want to encourage people "selling" citizenship (like all the bogus weddings they have in the UK to get people British passports)

If you've come in on PR swearing you don't have a partner, and then suddenly turn around and say that you do, NZIS is probably going to think you're just doing it for the money your "partner" is paying you.

Could your partner come on a work visa and then live with you for a while and then apply for PR that way?

The evidence for the partnership has to be pretty solid - as said above, shared bills, tenancy agreements/mortgages etc - and by already swearing you don't have a partner, you'd pretty much have to start from scratch with the one-year relationship proof I guess.

btw, how long have you been in NZ? I don't think you can act as a sponsor until you've been a resident for a certain amount of time.

Good luck

If your partner is 30 or under, he could do the student visa route and go on his own merits, climbing the immigration ladder once he gets there.
    Hope everything works out.
    Ana

until last month i'd lived in the uk all my life and never came across this bogus weddings thing????

think it was more common 10 or so years ago. But happen it did. a sister of a family friend was married for a day for so, not in physical terms just a registrars service to a guy from overseas just so he could have status in the UK. and it certainly happens in other parts of the world too.

until last month i'd lived in the uk all my life and never came across this bogus weddings thing????
    It used to be a pretty common theme on US sitcoms when I was little, not so much any more, but I think "My Name is Earl" has alluded to it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by veronica
    Whereabouts is your partner from and are they under 30 because if so they would more than likely qualify to come over here on the young persons working holiday visa. this would give them one or two years here to sort out a job and apply through normal channels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana&Steve
    If your partner is 30 or under, he could do the student visa route and go on his own merits, climbing the immigration ladder once he gets there.
    Sorry, veronica, I didn't see that the first time! *blush*
    Ana

Just to add to what's been said, if your partner's eligible a WHV does seem the best way to go. They're pretty much automatic to get if the quota for your country hasn't been used up and much less paperwork than under the family stream. The only problem is that you can (if it hasn't changed) only work for three months for one employer (working for different people through the same temp agency is fine though).

After living together for a year, you can then apply for PR on partnership grounds, and a family stream work visa whilst the application is being processed.

Student visa's aren't limited to people under thirty, but you do have to pay overseas tuition and can only work part time, if at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast