Thread: Camping Stove/Gas.

Question Camping Stove/Gas.

Hi there,

Has anyone brought their camping stove over from the UK?

I think that in the UK they all work on butane or Calor gas etc, whereas here it appears to be all LPG, a combination of butane and propane.

The screw fittings are different and the regulator, I assume, is different.

Can you convert by buying a new regulator or is it completely different and/or we would be better off buying a new cooker?

It's one of those with two burners with grill under so we would like to keep it if at all possible.

Hello,

We brought our camping gas stove, 2 burners type made by Coleman, from Ireland. It is supposed to work only either with butane or propane. Here in New Zealand, only bottles of LPG are available and the camping stoves have a screwable inlet.

As LPG is a mix of butane and propane, I guessed that my imported stove would work with LPG anyway.

I went to Bunnings, a DIY chain that has one superstore in Christchurch, bought a gas fitting including pipe and regulator (Campmaster CM4715B) and cut through the pipe to remove the screwable 1/4 BSP outlet.

Then, I connected the camping inlet (3/8 LHT) of the gas fitting to a 3kg bottle of LPG gas and inserted the other end of the gas fitting (the one where there was a 1/4 BSP outlet) into the camping stove..... and everything now works as it used to work in Ireland.

Hope my above explanation is clear and that I really helped you.

Yup they do work, just a reg. change.

Thanks guys. Very helpful. We will give Bunnings a visit and get it sorted! Intending to camp this weekend but woke up to a very wet day today, hope it clears by Friday. Cheers.

Ah the joy of camping - wet weather