Thread: fasting for blood tests?

Question fasting for blood tests?

Hello, all. We go for our medicals in less than two weeks. I didn't ask the doctor about this because I thought his head might be spinning already with all the info I gave him (he's never done an immigration medical before), but I should have:

do we need to fast for the blood work, assuming we will only need the basic work done?

We are all in good health and below the BMI requirements. Our appointments begin at 2PM, so it will be a stretch to go without food or drink that long!

Thanks!

My wife didn't have to fast, but I did because I was (and still am) borderline. The doc did say that some people had an alcoholic drink before hand, but this can affect their results, so just stick with the non-alcholic ones and you'll be fine.

The doc did say that no-ones tests are 100% perfect. Ours weren't, but as long as the doc writes on the form that he's happy it should be okay. For your information, if the NZIS Officer isn't sure of a result, then they will refer the form to their doc for comment.

Good luck, you'll be fine.

Hi CjChris,
    We didn't fast, in fact I distinctly remember having a yummy breakfast in the coffee shop around the corner from the doctor's right before we went in
    Gil

no need to fast before a medical. You will need to provide a urine sample so a nice flat white before hand? Sweet!

Wink

Hello there

We ate and drank as normal before our blood tests came back (well, as normal as Christmas permits). My bilirubin levels came back higher than the NZ required level; my panel doctor didn't seem concerned at this (quite a common thing apparently) but I've since had a second blood test done with my own doctor and am now waiting for the results. If these aren't awful (ie. if my bilirubin level is the same or lower) then we'll send off our ITA and hope for the best...

(Didn't know what bilirubin was until we had our test results back; this immigration lark is an education!)

All the best for your medicals,

Andrea

Thanks, everyone. This helps to alleviate some pressure. I was mostly thinking about how my poor 18 year old would go without orange juice or Mt. Dew all day!! She doesn't drink water as much as I do, much to my dismay (water would be the only thing allowed were it a fasting test--she'd die of thirst!!).

As for drinking alcohol, my OH and I are going to lay off the wine-with-dinner thing for a few days before the tests. I don't want to take any chances on screwing something up!!

After that, it's bottoms up to celebrate having another hurdle over!

Christine

Quote Originally Posted by CjChris
    As for drinking alcohol, my OH and I are going to lay off the wine-with-dinner thing for a few days before the tests. I don't want to take any chances on screwing something up!!
    Christine
    That's exactly what we did and it obviously worked!

Good luck,

Gil