Thread: Flights / Ticket Types / Length Return ??

Question Flights / Ticket Types / Length Return ??

Hoping someone can answer these queries for me?
    I done a search of topics and have a pretty good idea that theres a few good websites i plan to use for booking flights and i almost certain i will chose either Airnewzealand or Singapore Airlines for my travel.

But few worries and questions..

My plan is to go to NZ on a normal holiday trip for a long stay, and hope i successfully get a job offer and then get a Work Visa to stay on in NZ, so on this plan what type of flights and tickets do i get? I know i need a return flight as i will be entering without any Visa, and technically just a tourist sighseeing NZ! So i plan on buying a usual return trip to/from London/NZ (i realise i only need a ticket out of NZ, maybe to Oz, but i am going to get a full return to home as if all does goes belly-up at least i can get home).

So what type of return tickets are there? and what will be best for me? Ideally i want a return where i can change the return date or extend/shorten the day i return, is this possible? And when initaially booking flights what time of length stay shall i plan for my return, i was thinking of booking a return about 3-4mths after i arrive, as if i dont find work etc in that time i would have to go home. But can i then change that return to later if i stay, or of course change it to earlier return if it all goes wrong and i need to get home sooner. Also going as a tourist, if i have a return in 4mths etc will i be asked to prove at immigration controls that i have somewhere to stay for whole duration of stay and will i need to prove i have the funds for 3-4mths? (i am thinking USA style immigration here!)

So to recap i hope to book a flight with one those 2 airlines online next week, with a trip out end of july (probably with night stopover hong kong) and maybe a return booked for sept-oct same route, but hopefully with some sort option to be able to change dates if needed.

Would really appriecate some tips/advice before i go and spend 1000 on the wrong type of return tickets this week!

Finally sort of related, when you book a stopover at Hong Kong how/where does one book a room in transit? Cant seem to see that anywhere, and i assume its not included in the airline flight tickets! LOL

Thanks in Advance
    Last edited by Leccy-Lee; 8th January 2007 at 07:11 AM.

I'd recommend Singpore Airlines as many others do in the Forum.
    You can buy a ticket with a return date 3-4 months ahead and then change your return date as often as you like once you are in NZ at no extra charge. The thing to watch out for is the overall validity of the ticket - some ticket types are valid for 6 months and others for a year. Make sure you get the ticket validity confirmed in writing and the conditions for amending travel dates.
    Even though UK citizens get an automatic 6 month visitor visa, you will need to show that you have enough funds to support you for the duration of your trip - at least $1000NZ per month - or immigration may suspect that you will try to work illegally to support yourself. See this link.
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...rs/default.htm
    I don't know how old you are but if you're under 30, you could apply for the working holiday visa which would give you the freedom to travel and work - check out whether you like NZ that way. See this link
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...idayscheme.htm
    The immigration site is pretty clear and straightforward.

Lee

is this what you mean? 2nd one down, the Regal http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/aguide/hotel.html

with singapore air and most of the others you can get a return with up to a year on it. But beware of air nz on this as you have to pay for every change you make, the nearer the date of flying the more expensive the change. With singapore air we have never had to pay for changing the dates.

Thanks all, sudden change of plans means i am now likely to go to NZ under the "Bunac" scheme so will probably now let them arrange flights / stopovers for me, had no idea of this scheme when i posted this so apologises.

See here:
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....043#post107043