Thread: Bunac ? (only just found out about it!)

Default Bunac ? (only just found out about it!)

So here i am making plans to book flights, for my own DIY plan to come over to NZ in the summer and try find work and start a visa application from within, and see where fate takes me from there.

And literally few days before i was about to book flights, i randomly stumble across this BUNAC scheme for working visas to NZ, id never knew it existed until right now.

http://www.bunac.org/uk/worknewzealand/

Now reason i suddenly so interested is that my original plans about 2years ago when i first decided i wanted to try a new life in NZ i had hoped to try out NZ with a working holiday of some sort until i discovered that i was too old ! the normal WHV has upper limit of 30. So i dismissed that outright and spent past 2 years trying to find time/way to get myself to NZ.

Now i stumble across this "exchange Visa" program that has the upper limit of 35 and i am suddenly very interested.

Has anyone experience of "bunac" or the IEP Visa at all? I am really considering it now i found it for following reasons:

• Initial outlay of costs far far less
    • They offer help advice etc whilst in NZ
    • Cheap flights, first couple days Accom
    • Find you work / accom (albeit could be on farm etc but work)
    • I never even set foot in NZ, so 1year "trial" ideal before i decide to stay/emigrate
    • Entry funds into NZ says min of £500 when i will have some more than that
    • I could sort it out and be there in 2-3 months!

But my main concerns if anyone knows the answers:

• Can i do ANY work on this visa? (ie my trade still)
    • If i was to decide to stay and i found full-time work, can i still apply to stay (wtr or pr), on this student exchange program?
    • Will using this program and visa affect any future visas or residency applications?

It really does seem to suit my current situation, although 33yrs old i live life like a student anyhow! From digs to digs etc, and tbh i was always planning to get into NZ using my trade, and maybe 2-3 years down line maybe changing career to a rural job in outdoors liike farming/forestry, so maybe some working holiday experience in some rural work could also suit me, although sure to earn more cash i would need to stick to my main trade (Electrician)

I am all excited now, as if this Bunac program is all it claims to be, i could signup and get over to NZ in 2-3 mths and "try-out" my dream before i decide to go for PR etc, and as upper limit is 35 its a last chance for me to do a WHV.

So if anyone can help or knows of this scheme i would appriecate there thoughts, and of course advice thoughts of everyone before i suddenly change my plans of 2yrs to try out this scheme.

Thanks
    Last edited by Leccy-Lee; 8th January 2007 at 09:34 AM.

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think the terms are essentially the same as the WHV - that is you can do any type of work (with the exception of sex work or establishing your own business) but cannot work for the same employer for more than 3 months, and there is no problem applying for another visa/residency whilst on it (though if the application isn't processed by the time it expires you may have to leave and come back).

A friend of mine came out with BUNAC last July.

He said it's been an excellent way of coming over as there were a group of them to begin with. He's worked a couple of jobs so far and the rest of time he's been travelling around. He's still flatting with a couple of the group but everyone else has gone their own way.

He has now decided though that he's coming back and getting PR hopefully next year sometime

I can't comment on current rules and regulations but I have used BUNAC previously to work in both America and Australia.

For America I went out on my own but on one of their BUNAC flights. I had a very general plan that I wanted to be doing some kind of casual work on the east coast. While on the flight I met other BUNAC people who had prearranged work they got through BUNAC, mainly life guard work, they were a nice bunch so I travelled with them to a seaside resort where I found my own work.

There was an initial BUNAC orientation in New York on arrival, but after that we were left to sort out everything ourselves. I combined work and travel and pretty much did my own thing.

For Australia I went out with a friend. Once again a very similar experience, an orientation on arrival in Sydney then you go off and do your own thing. We had no problem finding casual work but I think there were various rules, I think we were maybe not allowed to stay in the same job for longer than a ceratin amount of time, but this suited us as we wanted to work and travel.

BUNAC are a very well known group, who have been around for many years, and mainly used by students or those who want to do gap years or travel after finishing studying. Most unis/polys have a BUNAC group, I was in one as it got me discounts on fees etc. However, my friend who came with me wasn't a student, so it wasn't exclusively for students and that must be even more the case now if they have upped the age limit.

Not sure about working as an electrician most of the jobs people I know did on BUNAC were: Life guards, farm work, temp work, bar/restaurant work, hotel work. But if you contact BUNAC they should be able to give you a NZ list.

So, as long as the visa isn't too restrictive for what you would like to do, I see no reason you shouldn't use them.

Cheers

Tia

Thanks for help, i realise that on a emigration forum not so many people have heard of or used Bunac as its primarily for backpackers and students (which to be honest i am neither) But i am i think pretty certain i am now going to give it a go, not because i need there help/assistance but as 33yrs old it is the only way i can get a Working Holiday Visa (in all but name anyhow).

I weighed up the pros and cons as below and does seem to fit my plans and needs better than original plan a.

Plan A (was to be holiday with hope find job and Work Visa)
    Pros-
    • Less costs in just going on "holiday" than paying for a plan
    • Would feel more like i was on way to my long-term goal, rather than flitting about for a year

Cons-
    • May only see small part of NZ and with me not knowing now where i want to settle, could end up in location thats not what i am after
    • Technically risky entering country as Tourist, to plan work and stay later
    • Until i find work would need savings etc to find place to stay, and support myself
    • Would need to arrange all police/medical checks before i leave UK
    • When i find work i would have to stay in that work or risk losing Work Permit, meaning no freedom to explore my new world and NZ
    • Would be in NZ alone without any friends or anyone i know

New* Plan B (Bunac IEP Program)
    Pros-
    • Can safely enter NZ legally knowing i have visa to work/stay for 12mths
    • Can take some time to explore various parts/areas of NZ over first 6-7 months so i get an idea of where to settle
    • Much more flexible time, meaning can work if want/need to and can play/explore NZ when want to
    • Can do casual work to help funds etc, and experience a bit of backpacking/gap-year lifestyle (something i regret not doing in earlier years)
    • On the program can meet others before going to NZ and fly out with them and have some friends in same boat upon arrival
    • Bunac can arrange cheaper flights and stopovers
    • Backup support help of Bunac team if needed, for finding work/digs etc
    • Dont need to prove any more than £400 funds on entry into NZ, as can work
    • Dont need police/medical checks for the 12mth visa
    • Extra time and freedom will allow me to complete my Electricians License whcih involves courses taken in NZ
    • I really like the idea of trying out some rural work as a change, even if only month or two (ie farming etc)
    • The casual gap-year lifestyle will allow me to meet more Kiwis and hopefully make more friends etc than i would just settling straight down.

Cons-
    • Extra costs of paying Bunac to process and arrange everything
    • I am 33, and will be joining with loads of 18-25 students !! lol

Well thats all i can think of for now, i think the above speaks for itself in suiting me better, Well heres to becoming an old-age Student!

Have a look at the Stray Bus if you're hoping to travel around, it's aimed at the 25 - 35 age group so less of the 18- 21 year olds

www.straytravel.com

Good Luck seems like you've got a good plan sorted

Yeah thanks looks interesting, i may if funds allow buy a cheap car though, i do like my freedom.

Anyhow, on another note, its decided and done!
    I have sent off payment and all forms to BUNAC, hopefully i get a date and reply soon.