Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Help with work/student visa with spouse

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007

    Default Help with work/student visa with spouse

    Hi All,

    My wife and I applied for our student visas and received them a few weeks ago.

    I am an honours student at Victoria, so I am able to work 20hrs per week and more on holidays.

    My wife is going to be a study abroad student (undergrad) at Vic, and then plans on going into her honours year.

    Now, I know that study abroad undergrads are not allowed to work -- but I also know that the spouses of postgraduate students are allowed to work.

    The NZ embassy in the U.S. granted my wife her student visa, but stated on the visa that she wasn't allowed to work. I contacted the embassy about this and they said that she might be eligible for a "Variation of Conditions" on her visa, perhaps allowing her to work.

    2 questions:

    Where do we need to go in Wellington to get this variation of conditions?

    What are the chances that we will be able to get our visa switched to allow my wife to work?

    Thank you all!

    Jonathan Cisco

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Wellington, NZ


    Hi Jonathon

    To get a variation of conditions you would need to apply at the Wellington branch of NZIS on Willis St - full contact details at

    I'm by no means an expert, but I honestly don't think your chances are good. Whilst the partner of a postgrad student is generally entitled to a work visa, being in such a situation is not included in the criteria to be entitled to work on a student visa. They don't tend to be particularly flexible about such things, even where it would make logical sense, as here - hough don't let that stop you trying. I'm sorry I couldn't give you better news.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts