Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: daycare?

Default daycare?

Hi All,
    Am planning to get a job in Chch or Auckland (fingers crossed) so if everything works out ok, just wondering whether Chch has any good daycare places? As I am a single mum, I'd be working full time and won't be able to look after my son, who is oging to be 8 years old, after he comes back from school. As I heard that NZ has a law that forbid kids below a certain age to stay at home alone (good law, that!) so that's why I was hoping if you all know any good places and approximately how much will it cost?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    zippy

ps. I tried doing a search on the forums, but the threads I've seen mention mostly creches for small kids....how???

Hi

Most schools have after school programs and some have breakfast (before school) programs as well. Our local primary has an after school program that runs until 5pm in a hall beside the school. They do some really great arts and crafts stuff, and I think they help with homework for the older kids. I think my daughter will have to go one or two afternoons a week this year.
    Debs

Zippy,

This site has loads of info on after school care, holiday care etc

www.oscar.org.nz/index.asp

I know about it as our local After Schools programme won one of its awards. Any info you can't find on the website, just send them an email and I'm sure they'll be able to help.

Cheers

Tia

Default whew!

Thanks Tia and Debs,
    That's a real relief! Thanks so much! Am checking out the website right this minute! it's taking so long to load though....darn cables in Taiwan :P

That's good to know about the after school programs. At least I don't have to worry about dashing out during work to send him to a daycare...

now it's back to work...

Cheers!
    hp

Zippygoblet,

Hi there, the place that does holiday clubs and after school clubs near me was open today, so I popped in for you to find out some details.

I don't know how typical it is, but I thought it might be useful to have a real example:

The After School Care hours: 3.00pm to 6.00pm

They pick them up in a minibus and provide afternoon tea and various activities

Fees:

3pm-4.30pm: $8.50
    3pm - 6pm: $15

Hope this is useful.

Cheers

Tia

that's great help thanks, would those fees be daily?

if it's for the whole month, that'd be quite a hefty billl tho...starting to sweat from the bill haha

i suppose i can figure something out, maybe 3 days with the program and two days with friends...

hmn...food for thought...still..i'd have to find a job first!

cheers,
    hp

Yes those prices are per day. But I'm not sure how typical they are as we live fairly close to central Auckland so they may be more than most areas.

Its possible that you may be able to get help with such costs, someone else might know?

Cheers

Tia

Red face HI

Hi

I am in the same boat at the moment. I am a single mum to a little girl of 4 1/2. Will be out in New Zealand for beginning 2008 (decided new year, new life etc). Am now trying to find a nursery for little one starting from Feb close to Auckland CBD, which doesnt have an long waiting list. Am hoping to get job close to CBD so want somewhere close by. If anyone has any helpful suggestions please feel free.

My son's daycare centre in Newmarket has spaces, I think. PM me if you want more info - it might not be close enough to CBD for you though?

Default Daycare

Hi

Will PM you shortly.

Thanks for any help you give me.

Michelle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast