Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Second-hand furniture

Default i know what you mean...

It is quite funny how my Kiwi was walking around in a Dutch dump shop.
    He was looking at scratchy tables and worndown leathercouches as if they were gold!
    cheers,
    Karoline

The second hand shops are well overpriced but you can get some reasonable stuff thats not too dear in the Buy Sell & Exchange paper. This is mainly stuff sold by ordinary people. We've just bought a set of bunks for $150 that are selling for $475 new.

I will definitely be on the hunt for a second hand TV when I arrive . Something newish and a sony will be good. If anyone stumble into one. PM me.

cambridge is meant to be good for antiques (south of auckland - nice day out)

Cambridge is a real nice place, and yeah - some nice shops that sell 'older' stuff.

Being abit of an antique freak here in the UK, my ideas of antiques and NZ's idea of antiques are too different things. Although there are some nice pieces to be picked up in NZ, I would say they are more in the category of 'pre-loved' furniture (couldn't be more diplomatic if I tried). I know I sound abit like a stuffed shirt, but having second hand furniture referred to as 'antique' is one of my pet hates.

If anybody knows of any shops that sell my favourite solid oak items that date back at least 250 years please let me know. We're shipping over everything we own at the moment but I'd like to think we could keep adding to our collection without having to ship things over from the UK.

Diny

am remembering a lovely 'old' art deco wardrobe i bought there - definition flexible/ relative.. as anywhere - buyer beware!

i think of "age" by mode/ quality of manufacture more than anything so perhaps am more liberal than most ... its been decades since i bought new (other than transitionary ikea/ habitat) as its mostly just awful and over-priced. there is fab stuff to be had if you've a good eye and patience - even in nz

Stuff had an article on an irksome new law today, which may affect people who hope to resell some of the secondhand furniture, etc, they bring over. From what I gather, if you make more than $2000/year, you should be registering as a secondhand dealer starting in April. Bleh.

Law may force TradeMe addicts to become dealers
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3138073a11,00.html

Default Second-hand furniture

I just looked at this thread, and here's my two-cents worth....I definitely agree about the second hand shops having icky stuff that is expensive!! We tried to get a table and a bed, a few other things at a couple of shops, it was awful, and awfully expensive. My husband ended up buying a couple of new plastic outdoor chairs for only a few dollars, and he got a piece of wood and some bricks for a small table, that's how disgusted he was with "used", it's not the same. But on the other hand, you can definitely buy a decent TV and DVD player new, great prices on electronics. Don't even get me started on refridgerators and washing machines, grrr!!

Was told in an "antique" shop the other day (it was really a junk shop!) that 1970's furniture is "antique" :eek

Where on earth can I get my fix of old oak and copper pans?!

ooh Moorf!!!!!!
    I found THE most amazing shop in ChCh when I was there last year........I couldnt believe my eyes.
    I even took the kids to meet the owner and asked him to show them the workshop out the back where he was lovingly restoring gorgeous old pieces of furniture......

Let me think awhile till I work out where I was.
    :

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast