Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Second-hand furniture

aaargh
    I cant find the name of it.....

but I can give you directions!

We were staying at the "Camelot Motel" (interesting enough to see by itself!!) on Papanui Road in Merivale.

As you come out of the motel you turn left and the shop I'm talking about is only 100m from the motel.

As an aside there are some great eating places nearby too - in a little courtyard type of place. The chinese was exceptionally good.

It's also not far from the lovely park with the most amazing trees...we were there in autumn so it was particularly good.

If I remember the name I'll let you know.

I'm sure I'll sniff it out Carol - sounds fab!

I've just spent an hour driving around 2nd hand shops and retail outlets...

Hmmm - 2nd hand - I'm not even going to BOTHER anymore, it's gross. Most "2nd hand shops" are more akin to architectural reclamation yards in the UK... great if you want an old claw foot bath but not if you are looking for furniture / soft furnishings / washing machines etc. I went to 2 electrical 2nd hand shops and they were selling 2yr old Fisher & Paykel fridge/freezers for just $120 less than they are new in the retail outlets!! : It's a bit like Pak n Save where if you buy, for instance, the 200g pouch of coffee it isn't cheaper than buying 2 x 100g.. !!! Watch out!

Ended up at the Harvey Norman centre - by the overpass on Moorhouse - a cluster of homeware/furnishing and electrical stores. Most had good deals and anywhere you go will almost always offer you a year interest free (although one shop keeper said they don't advertise due to it restricting advertising other rates.. ). One store, can't remember which one, is doing no deposit, no interest and nothing to pay until Jan 2007... ok, they probably work in the costs of doing that deal into the product but it's convenient !!

Looks like a nice new lounge suite is going to cost approx $2500 - 3000. Fridge/Freezer c. $1400 (for a large freezer / fridge combination).

The rest we'll collect as we go along - we've made do before when renovating so I'm sure a couple of packing boxes for bedside tables won't bother us for the time being

hiya Moorf, forget the second hand shops and have a look in the buy sell exchange, we bought the two fridges for the backpackers out of there and they were about $300 / $350. The other option is to have a look on traderpoint or trademe on the net.

I agree with Veronica about the Buy and Sell. We bought a buggy, a bike, and 2 car seats and all are in great condition. Check out the diary under "advertisements" on the University of Canterbury website. You might see some furniture and other things for sale (faculty staff moving overseas etc.).

Hope this helps,

Sandrine

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123