Thread: Dining Room Furniture??

Default Dining Room Furniture??

Can anyone comment on the availability / quality / cost of dining room furniture? :hopeso We're trying to decide whether to buy before we come (while we can still afford it!) or wait til we get there. Particularly farmhouse type big pine kitchen tables. Thanks!

Hi,

There's not as much choice out here (well not in the shops I've been in) for pine furniture as there is at home (UK).

I've only seen one shop so far that makes proper pine kitchen tables - unfortunately I got dragged past the front door of the shop by Ian as he knew it would be expensive if he let me in there!!!

There is a good availability of general dining room furniture but the prices as far as I've seen are a little more then the UK - not tonnes more though - we've shipped our dining room set out from the UK but have bought a breakfast room table & 2 chairs for about $450- from Harvey Norman (they wouldn't have been my first choice of style back home as they're made of some kind of teak coloured wood but they were the only ones I could find with 2 chairs & small rectangular table of the size I needed).

Sarah

This shop is tucked away up on the Coromandel, but does nationwide delivery. I believe they also have a sister co. in Auckland.

http://www.ubd-online.co.nz/fagans/

Default Re: Dining Room Furniture??

Quote Originally Posted by Dinnaefash
    Can anyone comment on the availability / quality / cost of dining room furniture? :hopeso We're trying to decide whether to buy before we come (while we can still afford it!) or wait til we get there. Particularly farmhouse type big pine kitchen tables. Thanks!
    Dining furniture seems to be a reasonable price to me, IMHO cheaper than in the UK.

If you`ve already got it fine but I think it would be a mistake to buy in the UK to bring over here .... How do you know what size or style to get for you`re new home that you haven`t seen yet?
    We shipped our old dining furniture over and in our house in the UK it looked fine, once we were in our new place it looked stupid and had to go.

Bobby.

As I spend alot of my time house hunting on the real estate website, I've noticed that when you look at a property that's showing you lots of pics, you get a good shot of the furniture.

Must admit I've seen some nice pieces so they must be available. As for price I couldn't tell you at the moment.

We have one of those large farmhouse scrubbed pine dining room tables you mention and I wouln't part with it fr the world.

Diny

Near a North Island beach, in New Zealand

Originally from Malaysia, in Wellington since May 2005

We have been scouting for rental website as well. Most of the pictures posted are of small 4 - 6 seater dining tables.

Is that a norm for small dining tables in NZ? What would an average dining table size be that would fit into an average dining room?

Where we come from, a 7 or an 8 footer dining table is not uncommon!

Thanks
    Shagen