Thread: Best flour for bread machines?

Default Best flour for bread machines?

Now that my bread maker has a plug on it, I just bought the first flour I saw (once I realised that strong flour is called high grade flour here) and the brand is Champion. It tasted absolutely fine this morning, but I was just wondering if anyone has a favourite bread flour they can recommend here in NZ?

Gil

Hi there,

It's not so much the flour I'm bothered about, but the yeast. My machine always provided huge fluffy bloomer style loaves back in Edinburgh, but here the texture is almost like a crumpet and they don't rise very much

I've tried various combinations of the amount of yeast used, but still nothing like what they should be. I was recommended to buy the wee sachets you get, but I've now got a job at Brumby's so no need for the bread machine at the minute

Milliemoo

Hi Milliemoo, I got the sachets (by luck, not judgment) and it came out fine this morning.
    Brumby's eh?

Gil

I get a cool hat and free doughnuts.... what can I say

Cath x

Quote Originally Posted by Milliemoo
    I get a cool hat and free doughnuts.... what can I say

Cath x

Hats and doughnuts....

Gil, good one that, never really crossed my mind about the yeast, just always expect to get this stuff don't you. Any strong flour should do though. We not used ours for a while (no room in our pokey kitchen here for the machine) but expect it will get used again.
    Thanks for the reminder.

My first bread came out very hard and flat that birds not interest in eating it!!

Tip: Sieve all the flour off the yeast (why they put flour in yeast????) and use warm water instead of cold water, help make bread came out better, very nice and fluffy....
    My OH use olive oil in it, very YUMMY!!!

yes, the yeast sachets are what`s working best. For a while, I tried hard and looked everywhere for find fresh yeast, but I eventually gave up. The sachets are all right ( I should get a life, I know...)
    Laura