Thread: Auckland food markets?

Default Auckland food markets?

Reading all about the great market at Te Papa and I was wanting to know if anyone knows of any good food markets in Auckland, North Shore even better. Ive been to Devonport's one but i thing I get there to late in the day. Are there any others that people have tried and like. I find the quality of fruit and veg from the shops here poor and expencive so am keen to look at alternatives.
    Debbie

Hi Debbie

I noticed a framers market in Orewa today. Poster said every sunday 8am until 1pm.

Don't know what it is like though.

Nanny x

Hi,

Have you been to Takapuna market? That's a fair old size...gets very busy. It's on Sunday mornings. You do need to get to Devonport market early...expecially if you want to get something from the 'smoked fish lady'.

Has anyone been to the big fish market in Auckland. Aparently theres a free bus that takes you from the viaduct???

Milliemoo

We went to the fish market in Jellico st (think it's spelt right). Kids loved all those ugly huge fish and great fish and chips. Sorry I dont know about a free bus though. Where about do i need to go for the Takapuna market? Will check that one out.
    I realy fancy doing one of the evening classes in fish cooking they hold at the Auckland market as I have little experience in fish cooking and non in most of the varieties they have in NZ. Has any one done one of these? are they any good?
    Debbie

You can't miss the market in Takapuna. It's right in the centre of town, next to all the bus stops.

Milliemoo

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie
    We went to the fish market in Jellico st (think it's spelt right). Kids loved all those ugly huge fish and great fish and chips. Sorry I dont know about a free bus though. Where about do i need to go for the Takapuna market? Will check that one out.
    I realy fancy doing one of the evening classes in fish cooking they hold at the Auckland market as I have little experience in fish cooking and non in most of the varieties they have in NZ. Has any one done one of these? are they any good?
    Debbie
    I went to the Seafood School at the Auckland Fish Market. The class was excellent - started with a demo, and then you got the chance to do it yourself. I really enjoyed it and have used the recipes again.
    I want to go to the Snapper class that they offer too, as we seem to have an excess of them in the freezer at the moment!

Oh, and in response to the original question about food markets - there is one held in Otara on Saturday mornings. Quite a long journey from the North Shore though.
    There are also markets in Avondale at the racecourse on a Sunday, but again a long journey.
    I like going to Nosh in Glen Innes for some really good gourmet produce.
    You can check it out here: http://www.noshgourmet.com/index.html

I have been to a couple of farmers markets - one that was north of Auckland, I think in Coatsville or Kumeu?

there's a farmer's market downtown (Auckland CBD) on Saturday mornings
    http://www.cityfarmersmarket.co.nz/

Matakana has one on Saturday mornings too.

I find the quality of fruit and veg from the shops here poor and expencive so am keen to look at alternatives.
    I agree that the produce in suermarkets often isn't great, but there are plenty of vegie stores around that have a good selection at reasonable prices. I like the Mt Eden Freshworld and I notice they have a store in Northcote, if that's close to you?
    http://www.freshworld.co.nz/Default....ld%20Northcote

Pukekohe has one every Saturday morning, but the one I like to go to a lot is the one in Otara. Great selection! On the fish market, it does have a free shuttle bus, and apparently you just catch it when you see it downtown (my sister-in-law did this a few times). The market itself is okay, but I only go when I hear they have the crayfish on special or when my wife has a craving for the sushi seafood dome set meal they have on demand (look for the restaurant inside, and ask for the $10 seafood dome). Have to say, that's pretty delicious!

Thanks for the market suggestions and Iwill check out freshworld Northcote is realy handy. I think I'm also going to go for the next beginner sea food class at the fish market on the 31st so I will try and remember to post back about that. Now my kids are eating fish I want to keep the momentum going.
    Debbie