Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Options for a 16 Year Old.

Default Options for a 16 Year Old.

My 16 year old is not a happy chap and wondered if anyone could offer some advice!
    When we were over in NZ last week we looked at schools etc for our 3 children and have establised that the NZ children stay at school until they are 17.
    Our 16 year old does his GCSE in June so will have finished school when we move over in Aug/Sep. He does struggle with school due to mild learning difficulties so as you can imagine isn't keen to go back to school in NZ.
    He would have been prepared to do college if that was available to meet other children of his age.
    I believe the only options to him are school or tec college (He doesn't want to learn a trade)
    However if he doesn't go back to school does anyone know if he would be able to work as he will have his GCSE results available to potential employers? or is there a systemin place that people can't work until they have finished school?
    I have tried selling the benefits of returning o school such as all the people of your age will be there etc etc but it's the thought of having to do more exams that is putting him off.

Kerry x

My son is sitting his GCSE's this year too and we are arriving in NZ in Sept. Slightly different scenario as he was willing to continue in yrs 12 &13 in NZ but the more research I did the more it showed he would not benefit. Here in the UK he was going to college to do an IT course (he is not capable of A levels as he has mild dyslexia and does struggle with a lot of written work). It appears that he could work but he could also go to Uni without getting his A levels. He would just have to sit a foundation course first before they would accept him.

What is your son interested in doing and where do you hope to settle?

Kerry, I may be wrong, but I didn't think kids had to stay in school till 17 here! As you say, there are plenty of options at poly, places like MIT (Manukau Institute of Technology) etc http://www.manukau.ac.nz/
    He could start work if that's what he wants, surely?

Gil

Thanks for your replies.

In answer to your questions - my son has no idea what he wants to do! We are goingto be settling in Bucklands Beach area.

Gil - When we went on a visit around Macleans the feedback we got was that the kids stay at school until they are 17 or can leave earlier if they go to Tec college - that's why I wasn't sure if they could go out to work earlier than 17. However looking at the college link you sent me they do have some non trade courses i.e computer etc that may be of interest - how far is that college from Bucklands Beach?

Thanks again

Kerry

It's about 20 mins by car Kerry, not sure about public transport.

Gil

Thanks Gil, emailed them and they have said there is a bus service although it does take an hour.

Have had a look through the Tec info and my son seems keen so think we may have solved the problem - thanks for your help.

I found it confusing in the sense that when we were told the children could go to Tec college to learn a trade I presumed they meant plumber, electrician etc but having looked through the prospectus it reads like they offer all sorts of courses simular to a UK college.

Well hopefully that is that hurdle crossed... on to the next one!!!

Kerry x

good luck guys, 16 year old eh!!

Really pleased that your son has seen something to light his fire Kerry. A friend of mine teaches English at MIT, so when you get here, I will introduce you to her.

look forward to seeing you,

Gil

Thanks Gil

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry and David View Post
    When we were over in NZ last week we looked at schools etc for our 3 children and have establised that the NZ children stay at school until they are 17.

Kerry x
    School leaving age is 15 if they are so inclined, but they'll likely end up flipping burgers @ McD's for $12.50 an hour or whatever the min wage is now. But certainly no requirement to stay in school until 17...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast