Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kiwi baby - Dual nationality - 1 passport

Default Kiwi baby - Dual nationality - 1 passport

I'm flying back to the UK with my 6 month old baby. He was born in New Zealand and as we have PR he has a NZ birth certificate and NZ citizenship.

I have sorted out his NZ passport, but not his UK passport.

So my question is this, will he need some kind of visa, as he won't have any proof that he is entitled to enter the UK?

Anyone done this - travelled with one passport while having dual nationality?

Cheers

Tia

The UK passport office email advice link is here http://www.passport.gov.uk/contact_generalenq.asp

I've not done this (I only got my dual passport when I was 21 so it wasn't an issue for me) but I'd imagine you would need a Visa to go in. Were you going to register bub in UK while you were over?

Actually forget that!

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/UK...on=New+Zealand

Is a link for the Home Office UK Visa page - as long as bub isn't planning on staying more than six months, and considering you'll both be on UK passports it should be fine!
    Last edited by wiki; 15th January 2007 at 10:12 PM.

he wouldn't need a visa anyway - kiwi nationals don't need one for a less than 6 month visit.

Thanks guys, that's one less thing to worry about!

Cheers

Tia

Tia,

How did you sort out your baby's NZ passport? We are permanent residents and our baby was born in NZ on January 12th. We plan on returning to the UK later this year and need to sort out his passport. Any info on how to start this process would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Judy

I don't remember where we got the application but you could look on-line or call...maybe the Post Shop would know. Have you registered for her birth certificate yet? They should have given you something from the hopsital to do this as you will need it for the passport application.

The trickiest thing is that you need a photo of bubs with eyes open, mouth shut and both ears showing...good luck....hope you have a digitial camera as you will have to take loads of them to get one that will work...oh and the background has to be a certain color (check application). Then you just print the photos and complete the application. One note the app requires a witness who has known the baby that isn't a family member so you might get a friend or your mid-wife to do this for you...then you just pay the fee and mail the app and back it comes. Easy.

Good luck with those photos.

http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.ns...x?OpenDocument

Here you go, everything you need to know and the form, it does have example sheets of what the photo should look like

I got my pics printed by www.frogprints.co.nz once I had picked one I was happy with.

Judy, I hope you're getting some sleep with such a young baby, I'll look out for your 2am posts!

Yes the way I got the passport thing sorted was to ask Jub Jub, and as I can see she's already sorted out the links!

I've got to agree with Park City Partner the hardest bit is the photo, so do check out the photo section of the passport website.

I took his cot mattress and placed it next to the window for natural light. Then after a nap, while he was reasonably placid, I laid him on the mattress (we used a cream sheet) and set the digital camera to take multiple shots. I'd say out of about 40 we got 1 decent shot, so don't attempt this with a normal camera. Then like Jub Jub, we used frogprints who have a passport photo section.

I think we enclosed his birth certificate and got a school dad with a NZ passport to sign the photo.

The UK passport office aren't as strict after a revolt by parents with wriggly babies, but obviuosly you can just use the same photo as you did for the NZ one.

Cheers

Tia

Thanks all. This information is really helpful. I have the NZ birth certificate now so I can get started.

Hi My children have more than one passport and I have gone through this.....they can enter the UK but will be treated as a foriginer...my 3 month old was given a stamp that said...not permited to work!!!!. When you get his UK passport ( and I advise you to get it )use the Uk one to enter and leave the UK and his NZ to do the same here
    I strongly advise any one who is entitled too, get their children registered with the UK consulate and GET A PASSPORT. I was born outside the UK and My parents didnt do this for me thinking all would be OK.. The goverment changed the law and I spent a long time fighting to get it..in the end ( 30 years! )they had to chnge the law but it was a long hard fight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast