Thread: Science job

Default Science job

Hi,

I have been following ENZ forum for quite some time now, but this is my first ever post! I am planning to relocate to NZ this year (April). I have tried applying for jobs from oversea (UK) but so far no response. Very frustrating. I've learnt that some members of this forum managed to secure a job offer while in NZ on visitor visa. I'll be visiting NZ to attend my sister's wedding in Wellington in April and at the same time will do some job hunting myself. I noticed that most of the members' job are in the field of IT and it seems that IT-related jobs are in demand in NZ. I'm worry about the job prospect in my field. I'm wondering if anyone in this forum have some information on the job market in the area of science..or any scientists out there that are willing to share their experience with me? I am recently qualified with PhD in the area of Virology. 1 year experience as research assistant, nearly 2 years experience as a university lecturer. No post-doctoral experience..yet.. I am looking for a postdoc/research/scientist position, not restricted to the area of Virology as my skills are transferable to other area of biological sciences. Thanks!

Hi Dian,

A formal "welcome" to the forum!

Not sure if this helps, but the previous tenant at our rental was a lecturer at Auckland University (Business) and in the course of conversation in which I mentioned the life science department there, he jumped in very enthusiastically and said that AU has an excellent reputation in life sciences...perhaps a start? I do know that my son's best friend's dad was very very interested in Auckland when he was moving from Imperial, although he chose a more "local" move to a chair at Cardiff University.

Good luck and enjoy the trip to Wellington. Keep us posted,

gil

Hi Gil ,

Thanks for your reply and warm welcome! Yes, every information is helpful to me as it helps me to have some idea on life sciences opportunity in NZ. I have visited University of Auckland website, and they have established research groups in microbiology. Will keep on checking the vacancy site for any postdoc position.

Edna

Hi Edna - have you contacting the Universities over here directly? I was a post-doc and doing research at University of Auckland when I first arrived, but I've escaped academe now to work in the corporate sector... (yep, IT!)
    Many places aren't advertised - I got my post through word of mouth, then meeting the professor who had read one of my publications.
    One possible hurdle about University places is that you are coming at an awkward time. Most places will be for February or July starts in line with the academic semesters.
    Would you consider working for a corporate doing research? Or a hospital based position?

Hi Kerry- No, I have not contacted the university directly. Normally I would search for available positions in the uni's vacancy site. I am wondering if its a good idea to contact researcher directly. I've always assumed that no position adverstised meaning no research grant available to take in post-doc. I would definitely give it a try if I've found a research project of my interest. I'm also exploring other possibilities and I don't mind working for a corporate or a hospital- actually, I prefer a corporate/hospital than an academic setting..

Edna

Here is a list of contacts which might prove helpful to you.

Jo

Thanks Jo!