Thread: How to unlock a UK mobile phone in New Zealand

Default How to unlock a UK mobile phone in New Zealand

We've followed up a thread about this posted a little while ago but have got stuck....same question again: does anyone know how to unlock a Uk mobile phone? Once done then we just buy a SIM card once arrived in NZ ?

Carey

Hi Carey

I've done a quick search on the forum using "unlock phone" and it throws up a couple of threads, including this one and here too, and here.

However, in summary, it does depend on who your provider is and the make of mobile. If you speak to the provider they should be able to unlock it, for a fee. I know that you can buy the unlocking code off eBay too, but there is a list of free software from Download.com which may be of use (there are others ones, just change the 'free' drop down). Never tried any of them though, so it depends on whether you trust where the code has come from...

With regard to buying a SIM card in NZ - I'd imagine that you can just buy this on its own, but I'm hoping that someone in NZ can confirm this...

I hope that this helps, good luck and let us know how you get on.

We had problem with our 2 UK mobile (Tesco's), the company charged us huge fee and we worked out it would be cheaper to buy new one in NZ! So we went to vodafone and told them that we want two mobile, asked how much for two of them and we haggle with them, got it very cheap and we kept UK's for when we going to UK for holiday.

You can buy a 'pay as you go' sim here from vodafone for about 30 NZD. Not sure how much Telecom ones are, if they are available. Telecom and Voda are your only choices!

Mal, a fellow (ex)Suffolk-ite!

Default Unlock here?

I have seen adverts to unlock UK phones here. They were in small shops selling other mobile phones. I don't know how much it costs, or how reliable it is, but you might check them out before buying a new phone.

Also I understand Telecom NZ network is TDMA based, and so the phones or sims will not be compatible with anything from the UK.

Yep if you've got UK mobiles you're pretty much stuck with Vodafone SIM cards - monopoly on the market!!

I'd recommend unlocking your phone before you move here - we were with Vodafone in UK - we paid them £20- per phone to unlock them and then we just put Vodafone NZ pay as you go SIMs in when we got here.

Slight technical correction - the Telecom TDMA network is being decommissioned, and they use CDMA for their new phones, network, and 027 area code). So you may be able to use Telecom if you have a suitable phone.

Well worth unlocking your phone before you come over, IMO.

As Barry mentioned Telecom use CDMA, though will be introducing dual mode phones this year that operate on CDMA & GSM, though initially the GSM will not be activated on the Telecom network.
    Telecom management have made comments that they see more potential with GSM.

I just rang my UK provider - they unlocked the phone (no charge), then emailed vodaphone in NZ. They gave me loads of info and were very helpful. Your phone must be NZ compatible ie 900/1500 bandwidth (I think!) is compatible but they'll tell you. Then just walked in Vodaphone in the high street in A'land, got a SIM card ($30 I think incl some mins free), stuck it in, hey presto - a mobile working. Just topped up on credit card as and when we needed.
    Hope that helps...

Default UK mobiles

I bought my UK mobile with me (very old ex-orange Nokia) and bought a Vodafone pay as you go Sim - no probs, worked straight off.

However, my Nokia pretty much died, so I set about getting a new phone. My god they are expensive over here! No such thing as a decent free phone with a contract either. And also calls are so expensive, I pretty much only text (although Vodafone have a scheme called 'Best Mate' where you can, for $6 per month designate a number and text, call, video, whatever that number for free, so me and my boyfriend have this set up and everyone else gets texts!)

So, I ended up buying a brand new UK Vodafone PAYG phone off play.com for £70 (in a sale), getting my parents to bring it with them when they visited.

I then had to call Vodafone UK and get them to unlock it, which cost just under £20.

So, in all I got a really good phone for £90, which over here would have cost at least 25% more.

If I'd thought about it I would have shopped around in the UK before I left and come with a decent phone.

I did go into Vodafone NZ and Sony stores here in Welly, and they couldn't unlock it. It's Vodafone who lock the phones, not Sony. I think if it had been a year old Vodafone UK would have unlocked it for free.