Thread: Telescopes

Default Telescopes

I have several questions I would like to know about telescopes.
    I have always been fascinated by the universe but our garden is small and full of trees so I have never done anything about it. I have been looking at the prices in NZ and they seem a lot dearer there than they are in the UK. I am thinking of getting a Meade ETX90. A friend of mine has one and wouldn't have anything else. Is it best to get one in the UK and put it in the container or is there a reasonable place that I haven't come across in NZ.
    I know they are a fair bit cheaper in US but then you would have to pay taxes etc to get it sent over.
    Another thing I would like to know and this is probably me being daft. Because of the difference in the ozone layer in New Zealand is this going to make a difference to what the scope can see as compared to using it in UK?or is it the same wherever you use it? You can tell I am a bit of a dumbo on this subject.I Know there are some telescope boffs here as it was discussed briefly on one of Smiler's threads.

Kindest regards

Dave and Caroline

Don't know about the ozone layer, but the light pollution is going to be hard to beat - or lack of it. Just think of all those street lights spewing their light forth, and all the houses, shops etc. If you in a city, then you probably won't notice that much difference but get on the outskirts and you sure will get some real dark skies, ideal for stargazing.

I am bringing our telescope in the container, we got a 4.5" reflector for a ridiculous price from my wife's last workplace, great for us.

Just make sure you don't get one of those entry jobbies, waste of time and money. As you have friends who do this sort of thing take heed of their advice.

Costco do a good one from time to time, computer controlled too which takes all the effort out of it!!

As for NZ, I have seen some prices and they are scary - get one in UK before you go my advice.

Steve

Dave

There is some info on my Smiler Towers thread and I got OH the ETX80. He is like a dog with two tails now.

One problem I encountered was that although cheaper in the US and UK, the suppliers wont ship out of there as that invalidates the guarantee. If I remember rightly the UK price was under 300 quid, but they wouldn't ship and TBH I didn't realise it would come in such a large box. Makes sense to buy it in the Uk before you leave, I guess and as long as it's insured on the trip and you can take the repair bill hit when it goes out of guarantee. (I'm a worry guts for stuff like that)

I'd found a supplier in Christchurch here, NZ's only one apparently but they really weren't helpful. The answer to my question 'what comes with this scope please' was answered with 'everything'. Not much help for a scope newbie.

Finally I found a supplier through Trade me http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Lis...member=1345258

Very knowledgeable and helpful (patient too ) The full price from him was NZ$749 inc hard case for the tripod, the lot. He has the ETX 90 for sale at the moment. He only has a couple at a time, is legit, not off the back of a lorry.

Avalon kindly collected it for me as she lives nearby (I'm a near 3 hour drive away) and she also said he was patient and helpful, made her OH jealous too!

Several people recommended the ETX 80 one, read Moorf Junior's postings on my thread.

I was surprised by what this could do and OH says it's the best xmas pressie ever. I really wouldn't spend that much any other time, but this was a special xmas pressie. The view's though it in the night sky here are amazing, we've no light pollution at all out here.

However , everytime OH goes out in the garden though he has to put up with me asking if he can see Uranus though.

HTH.
    Last edited by Smiler; 28th January 2007 at 06:28 AM. Reason: spellin DUH!

We got a Meade 114EQ-AR (manual telescope) for Xmas

http://www.meade.com/starterscopes/eq_series.html

from my husband's family (they were here & decided they didn't want to keep posting birthday & Xmas pressies at expensive postage, so bought us it to last a lifetime of pressies). It was NZ$600 in Nature's Discoveries shop. Have had a look at the EXT-80 & our one doesn't look anywhere near as good as the telescope that Smiler has, but its aimed at beginners & intermediates & suits us but Meade scopes are available here.

We actually had a clear sky last night & got to use it for the first time & the sky was amazing!

Its funny, we only knew one person with a telescope in UK, whereas where we live nearly everyone has one.