Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kiwi Gift Hamper???

Default Kiwi Gift Hamper???

When I go back I wanted to say thanks to one of my friends who is practically lending me an entire nursery.

She's a real foodie, so I thought I'd put together a kiwi food hamper to pack in my suitcase.

So what foods are very NZ, from the everyday to the posh?

What would you include?

Cheers

Tia

Manuka honey went down well with my dad.... its a bit of a luxury over there

Pineapple lumps, just for something a bit different!

Couple of nice bottles of wine, maybe a Mission Estate?

Run out of ideas now......

I just put some sweeties together for my nieces including pineapple lumps, raspberry liquorice etc.

If I was doing it on a bigger scale I would include liquorice and chocolate logs, scorched almonds, pavlova (would it travel er, perhaps not! OK the recipe for a pavlova!) honey as Sal said, Tim Tams (yes I know you can get them in Tesco, but the range is far wider here), anzac cookies, lolly cake, a bottle of Brown Brothers Dolcette/Syrah (lovely red for chilling and summer sipping, only 9% ) a bottle of muscat dessert wine (had a groovy one at Xmas and now can't remember the label!)
    If I could include chilled and fresh produce, I would put some NZ camembert or brie, golden kiwi fruit, green mussels and smoked salmon.
    If I was giving a taste of NZ basic eating rather than "nice", foodie-type stuff, I'd include Foodtown's Basic Hot English mustard (doesn't taste anything like Colman's but is good!) Wattie's "Bit on the Side" chutneys, Steak and Cheese Pies (could never have imagined the combo, but even OH who won't eat cheese at all will eat them!) and Whittakers nut slabs.

My daughter said "any of the wide range of Cadbury's big choc bars, yoghurt coated coffee beans and ostrich sausages."

Non-food that we love here is Listerine pre-brushing whitening mouthwash. Don't think you can get it in UK! Might be taken the wrong way though

Some initial thoughts, if I think of any more I'll add them.
    Great idea Tia,
    gil

What about something like kiwifruit, boysenberry or feijoa jams/chutneys?

Debs

Nobody mentioned Jaffas - the sweets mmmmmm

Chocolate fish, jet planes (a must for any Kiwi!!), Chit Chats (biscuits), Mint Slices (Biccies) or Mint Slice Balls, Marmite?, Vogels bread if that's allowed through, definitely some Cadbury's choccie, Debs idea of the preserves of feijoa, kiwifruit & boysenberry is a winner & definitely some honey - Manuka if the budget stretches (Honey hive do some great honeys of all flavours.) If you're allowed cheese & if you have somewhere cool to keep it on the plane then Kapiti cheeses are gorgeous - we tried one cheese last year which was coated in volcano ash - sounds gross but very yummy! Good bottles of Kiwi wines that you can't get in UK from boutique wineries - a Pinot Noir & a Sauvignon Blanc. Avacado oil, Also, Prenzel do some great dipping sauces, tipsy sauces & spirits that you can't get anywhere else & they're rather yummy!! (Especially the tipsy sauces over hot cakes or ice cream!), Hokey Pokey biscuits, Afghans (biscuits), Selection of NZ bottled beers (Monteiths do a good range, but also other beers such as Tui, Speights, Steinlager)? RJ's liquorice (you can buy it in the UK but its £5- a bag instead of about $3 in the supermarket).

Great ideas, I think I'll print the thread out and pop to New World.

In fact I might buy 2 of everything as there is lots of stuff on there I haven't tried yet!

Do you think its alright to pack glass jars/bottles in a suitcase, or do you think I'll end up with clothes smelling of Monteiths and Manuka Honey?

Cheers

Tia

Yum you'll attract every Kiwi in a 100 mile radius Tia!! Erm - depends on what type of suitcase you have & how well you pack I guess - my parents are bringing a big bottle of Amiretto disaronno in their suitcase from the UK next week... I'll let you know if they smell all holiday or if I'm up on the liquer I use to make choccie mousse with!!

I brought home last april for my mum is 3 bottle of liquer ice cream topping in different flavour, very nice (can use in other way like add into coffee, milkshakes etc)...not sure where you get from locally as got it from factory shop in kumeu, auckland.

We brought home a bunch of Whittakers kiwifruit chocolate and Ghana (sp) chocolate, and it was devoured by friends and fam, (and us!) as we don't have anything comparable here. We have dark chocolate, but not like the Ghana stuff
    Ana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast