Thread: Visitors to work visa

Default Visitors to work visa

Hi all,
    This is my first post so treat me gently. We are both 52 year old Brits with Son (17) & Daughter (10). We are currently staying with my Sister, an NZ resident for 18 months, in south Auckland. My sister can Family sponsor in another 18 months but we like it so much here we want to stay now. So we are looking to convert visitors visa to work visa.

We were both UK Customs Officers for many years. I was always in frontline work but Sandy, although also with frontline experience, was business support, administration. During our careers we have both developed a varied and formidable group of skill sets. Unfortunately we can’t get past the recruitment agencies and their ‘can’t be bothered’ approach to our visa situation. I’ve also had a couple of ‘over qualified’ replies. The obvious avenues like NZ Customs, MAFF and Aviation Security etc will not look at you unless resident. I guess it means approaching employers direct but nearly all job ads are through agencies. I’ve seen, through this site, that it’s possible so there is hope.

Anyone out there with any thoughts or advice?

I can't help too much, but just to say we were on visitors visa's when we came and found it easier to explain to potential employees and recruitment agencies where we were in the emigration process, this seemed to open more doors.

Have you had a word with the local immigration office to see what they advise, they're very helpful.

You can apply for a work visa and work temping as many others do. I was not aware of this when I moved over. Once you have a NZ job on your CV then it seems to make all the difference. I have just taken 2 months to find a job, over qualified was said to me so many times, or lack of local knowedge.

Keep at it and do talk to immigration to give you your options. Once you have awork permit, you will be surprised at how easy the doors open.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich+Sandy
    Hi all,
    This is my first post so treat me gently. We are both 52 year old Brits with Son (17) & Daughter (10). We are currently staying with my Sister, an NZ resident for 18 months, in south Auckland. My sister can Family sponsor in another 18 months but we like it so much here we want to stay now. So we are looking to convert visitors visa to work visa.

We were both UK Customs Officers for many years. I was always in frontline work but Sandy, although also with frontline experience, was business support, administration. During our careers we have both developed a varied and formidable group of skill sets. Unfortunately we can’t get past the recruitment agencies and their ‘can’t be bothered’ approach to our visa situation. I’ve also had a couple of ‘over qualified’ replies. The obvious avenues like NZ Customs, MAFF and Aviation Security etc will not look at you unless resident. I guess it means approaching employers direct but nearly all job ads are through agencies. I’ve seen, through this site, that it’s possible so there is hope.

Anyone out there with any thoughts or advice?
    I've had much more luck going to the employers directly.

I think also that much of the time the recruiters just trawl the job adverts and contact the employer saying they have the ideal candidate, then phone us.

If you are in NZ and have skills relevant to roles that have a shortage, (which is a more extensive range than the Immigration skills shortage lists), recruitment agencies may help you find work.
    I know of IT recruitment agencies that find contract work for many people from overseas, though this is not so common for other areas like Accounting or Management.

The more relevant skills you can demonstrate the easier it will be for an employer to prove to Immigration that you and your husband have skills that not are not available in the current job market, so the more motivated they would be to offer you a job.

As others have mentioned being in NZ & talking (by phone and in person) greatly increases your chances of gaining work.

Other government departments may be more receptive to your applications, especially for roles that require strong analytical or policy/legal comprehension skills.