Thread: Visiting- one way ticket ?

Question Visiting- one way ticket ?

We are planning to visit NZ on a fact-finding mission.. Myself, the missus and 2 kids.

We're planning to fly with Emirates on a one way ticket, as we really don't know how long we are going to stay for.

Does anyone have any experience on flying out on a one-way ticket (not to hell I hope!!)

Any advice and tips would be great!

Thanks,

doz

I'm not sure you can fly on a one way ticket without a valid visa. I know UK nationals can stay up to six months, but not sure on your situation.

HTH

Steve

Hi there
    Quite sure you will need to supply proof of return before you can enter NZ, (unless of course you have residency, then yes you can come on a 1 way ticket) so would be wise to get an open ended return ticket, is worth it anyway and doesn't cost that much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dozzer
    We are planning to visit NZ on a fact-finding mission.. Myself, the missus and 2 kids.

We're planning to fly with Emirates on a one way ticket, as we really don't know how long we are going to stay for.

Does anyone have any experience on flying out on a one-way ticket (not to hell I hope!!)

Thanks,

doz
    Definitely agree with the other posters, you'll need to have a return or perhaps an outwards ticket out of NZ if you don't have a valid visa to enter on a one way ticket. The airline won't let you board the plane without that, as they are liable to pay hefty fines. NZIS bills them for people entering the country without proper documentation

I know of a family who travelled on Emirates and were asked to purchase an outward ticket on the spot at check in in London cos they only had a one way ticket

Check with Emirates as far as fees for changing your ticket if you buy a return, tickets are usually valid for 12 months.

Jen

They won't let you in the country without a valid return ticket unless you have a residence stamp in your passport or a RRV (Returning Resident's Visa) if travelling on any other passport but NZ... Agree with Jen - they will probably make you buy a return ticket when you get here if you don't have one & it will probably make your trip an expensive one. You'd be better off booking a return ticket at a good reasonable price - you can get open ended tickets that last a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dozzer

Thanks,

doz
    Don't know if this any help, my MIL is flying out in oct and knowing she planning to stay till feb/march, so the travel agent suggested to her to book return ticket back to UK at end of oct (3 weeks later), then when she get there she can contact airline to extend her return ticket to feb/mar for free of charge. As they said it work out cheaper that way.....as it is not open ticket..get the ideas? If i was you, check if it is ok with emirates.

Am afraid all other posts are correct. You will have to have an outward ticket too. I'm here on a work visa, and when we questioned the authorities about the flight situ, we were told unless you have a certain visa you will have to have proof of a return flight. Sorry.

Kim