Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Availability of Welding work in New Zealand

Smile Availability of Welding work in New Zealand

Hi,
    My family and I are really keen to move to New Zealand and I keep hearing that there are jobs for Welders but I cant find any on the internet and wondered if anybody who lives there or has a job to go to knows of the availability of this kind of work. Any help will be much appreciated.
    thankyou
    Paul

Hi Paul
    In general there is plenty of this type of work available. My hubby is a site welder, what type of welding do you do?? Where are you hoping to settle?? You may find that this is one trade (depending on your level) where you have to be here in order to secure a job offer, Are you planing a reccie at all??. Friends of ours managed to secure a job offer in the UK, but they were good friends with a friend of the boss, AND the boss was recruiting in the UK at the time.

Thumbs up

Hi Wilson,
    Thanks for posting a reply, I am a mig and stick Welder, We are not sure about where to live as it will be where the work is really, I worked as a welder for JCB for a few years but am now on construction sites as a Steal Fabricator/Welder. I have been in touch with an agency who say they deal with people in the UK, so next step is going to be to send a CV in see where it takes me..
    Paul

If you are a certified welder or Fab/welder then you will have no probs getting a job - in fact you'd get a choice, In Invercargill they even go as far as sticking huge placards outside their engineering firms advertising positions - My OH is a Sheetmetal worker but got a job after walking in off the street and talking to the boss - But if he wanted to he could leave and get any number of different jobs out there.... he is doing stainless work at the minute, but has worked on other things at his firm - you wouldnt be doing straight welding either - welders have to be multi skilled.

But he didnt get any job offers from the UK - But they all wanted him to pop in for an informal meeting when we arrived in NZ (we had visas via skilled migrant route)

What area were you looking to move to? its job night tomorrow in the paper.

Kat

Quote Originally Posted by dipaul07
    Hi Wilson,
    Thanks for posting a reply, I am a mig and stick Welder, We are not sure about where to live as it will be where the work is really, I worked as a welder for JCB for a few years but am now on construction sites as a Steal Fabricator/Welder. I have been in touch with an agency who say they deal with people in the UK, so next step is going to be to send a CV in see where it takes me..
    Paul
    They have loads of Big machines here - and if you are working as a fab/welder then you should have no probs if you have papers to go with it - if not can you come out on a reccie - then apply for a work visa and then apply after the 3 mths?

let me know if your interested in southland - I'll send you some links, where are your from?

oh and welcome!

Kat

Hi kat,
    Thanks for that, We are in Stoke-on-Trent and I would love the Southland and any info would be great. I have to dash now as I am off to work, I will post you another message tonight, thanks again
    Paul

I agree with Kat, Paul..... If you have the Certs/Work Exp details you will have no problems, and probably have your pick of areas. OH found that the site working practices can be different though, If I can tie him down we will send you a PM. Good Luck

To add my $.02 is that you are not likely to find welding jobs on the internet, rather the newspaper or by directly contacting engineering or construction firms and simply asking. Note that many jobs on the internet tend to be IT or from recruiting or contract firms, people who know how to use this type of media. Understanding the potential of the internet is not highly evolved here yet.

Thumbs up

Thanks guys for reading my post and leaving me comments its much appreciated thanks again
    paul and Di

I would welcome any links/contacts for welding jobs. We're heading out for our reccie in 6 weeks. We have one interview lined up so far in Christchurch. We're staying for a month - few days each end of the trip in Christchurch, and 3 weeks touring South Island in a motorhome. We're hoping to get more interviews when we get there, but as we're green as grass and have never visited NZ before, any contacts would really be appreciated.

We had a bit of a blow when we started our EOI, when we found out that Chris needs level 4 equivalent to get perm residency. He doesn't complete his level 4 exams 'till July, so we've had to delay the visa app. He's got 20 years' work experience as MIG/TIG and latterly 2 years FAB welding (all positions), but only since we started on the NZ emigration plan has he started getting the quals to back up the experience. He's passed every exam so far with distinction, so we're very hopeful the level 4 papers will be a formality.

Does anyone envisage this being a problem with employers? ie we're interviewing in March, but he won't be able to start the visa process till he gets his level 4 pass confirmed in August.

Feedback really welcome.
    Katiex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast