Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: work permit for unskilled labour

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default work permit for unskilled labour

Hey there
    I am a new resident of NZ, been living here just over 3months. My residency application was approved last week. We are quite excited. My brother (23) is coming to visit me, he hopes to find work here and apply for his work permit, however he is still comleting his diploma in Marketing through correspondence. As a result he will have to apply for unskilled work. I was wondering does the Dept. of immigration grant work permits for jobs in a supermarket say? or any other type of unskilled job. I was under the impression that work permits are granted only for qualified people. I am trying to gain as much info as I can for him, dont want him to get here and be disapointed. any help welcome.

What citizenship does he hold? If he is eligible, a working holiday visa sounds like the best option - you can do almost any kind of work on it, the catch being that you can't work for the same employer for more than 3 months.

I too agree with Anna. The Working Holiday Visa is the best route to take, I came over on the working holiday and was able to work without the job having to be on the shortage list. Although the rules applied regarding the 3 Months limit , I stayed in the same job for a year, to which I hasten to say, Immigration knew about and they cast a blind eye over it ? Maybe I was lucky, I don't know ?
    Good luck with all

the 3 month limit to each job does depend on where you are from. Uk is ok in that regard.

Hey guys
    thanks for the advice - it is a south african citizenship. dont know how that works. Rang immigration yesterday, they said that if he gets a job in a supermarket say, then the store will have to prove why they couldnt hire a kiwi. Am going to check on the working holiday idea. Thanks people.

There is no working holiday agreement for South Africa available. The countries eligible are here: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...orkingholiday/

If your brother gets an unskilled job then his employers would have to prove that there were no Kiwis available, and able or willing to be employed instead. The problem is that this is very difficult for unskilled work, and so most employers can't be bothered with the paperwork or the hassle...

Also, just to clarify - the UK WHV does not have a 3 month work restriction, so you can work for any employer for the entire length of the visa (although a max of 12 months in 24 months). My nephew has just applied for one and is coming over to NZ later in the year.

Yep, just checked that SA doesnt have an agreement with NZ. I think I may have been incorrect in saying unskilled labour - he does have work experience but in basic stuff like admin, driving and call centre - I wonder if he will get work based on his current studies together with his experience. This is quite a mission, I wish it could be easier. he is just so keen to get here, South Africa isnt getting any better and I dont blame him for wanting to jump ship.

If he has admin or call centre experience then he should apply for work in those areas. If he sells himself he should easily find work and once you have a foot in the door it is much easier to stay long-term.

Hi Guys
    Is there any age limit for work permit??

not sure about an age limit for a work permit - but have been told by immigration agencies in SA that over 45 is a bit harder to find employment. dont know how far that is true though cos' i have met many south africans over that age who managed to secure really good jobs here - guess it depends on experience and qualifications. Ring immigration - that is the best way to find out for sure.

about my brother, he has decided to come and will be doing his best to get in wherever he can. getting his employers back home to give him really nice references so that should help. another question - my brother will be saying on his form at customs "main reason for coming to NZ - to visit family" - does he still have to show that he has enough money for that month even if he is coming to stay with me and wont need to pay for accom. food etc?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast