Thread: Are there any Early Childhood teachers on this forum?!

Default Are there any Early Childhood teachers on this forum?!

Just trying again to see if there are any Early Childhood Teachers on here or anyone who knows anything about this work? As its on the Skills Shortage List and plenty of jobs advertised in the Gazette, it seems the way forward for me as a primary teacher if I can get my Uk Early Years PGCE assessed as that rather then primary. Although recall Kraiklyn saying his wife didn't mange this. Wonder what qualificatin in Uk you need to count towards NZ Early Years?
    But if I could get NZ registration, would I be offered a job without experience in NZ. If they are as short of staff as research implies, I feel this may be possible..........any views?

Thumbs up

We are trying for a work permit based on OH's qualifications and experience as early years teacher. she has a degree in early years education with drama and has worked primarily as a reception teacher or nursery teacher. we will be going down the same route as you in trying to get this assessed for early years. we are still in the process of collecting the evidence along with the police check. Hope this will all be done this month.

good luck

Hi, nice to hear from someone!
    My worry is that Early Years PGCE is actually 4 to 8 yrs and they want people with specific 0 to 5 yrs training, even if have experience in nursery or pre-school and so won't get Level 7, as on SSL . Does this automatically mean one wouldn't get registration? and therefore couldn't apply for a job? have contacted a few places in NZ who have said as long as registered you may get invited for interview without NZ experience. But I think you can apply for jobs before you have registation?
    Do you know anything about the EYPS, Early Yrs Professional Status, new in Uk?

Let me know how you get on and good luck,
    Carey
    Last edited by Carey; 3rd February 2007 at 09:31 PM. Reason: spelling

I have been told that you can apply for jobs without registration but that it would show more commitment to NZ if you had got registration before you started applying. Also, your salary scale is calculated from your NZQA assessment and registration. Appartently they will back date any pay claim after assessments have been completed but it is probably better to get paid right from the start.

Default Early Childhood teacher!

Hi,
    We applied through my qualification as an Early years teacher and were initially accepted, but after they started doing the further checks found that I do not fill their criteria for Early Years, They want 0-4 teachers not 3-8 as my Early Years PGCE qualifies me to do.
    I have also worked in Nursery and Reception classes for the majority of my career but do not qualify even for work experience!

They have just introduced the NZ equivalent of PPA time so I may go out on a Primary teacher status and then do supply/relief teacher work for a while.
    Luckily my Husband is pretty sure of getting a job offer as he is in IT!

Hopefully that helps clear things up but please contct me if you need any more help/info about what we put in forms etc!

Good Luck all!!

Default info re: EYPS

http://www.bestpracticenet.co.uk/eyps.html

This link may help with the EYPS route...not sure what the NZ stance on it is though...will ask my friend who is over there teaching now!

Default Work permit not EOI?

Kim and John,
    Did I read on one of your posts that you are hoping to go out on a work permit obtained after NZQA assessment and registration? Does this mean you won't submit a EOI? I fear that Early Yrs PGCE won't get enough points as they want a qualification for 0 to 5 yrs as Kraiklyn has said. I'm feeling rather muddled at the moment!

Thanks so much for the EYPS link, hadn't seen that one before. Wonder how much having EYPS would help as it s not an actual qualification, but MUSt show commitment/experience. How else are all those job vacancies going to be filled, unless they employ people like you and me, and others on here!?

Carey,

Yes our initial plans are for work permit for 1 year.
    Reason being I have no qualifications so may struggle to get a reasonable job (hope not) and also 2 boys do not want us to agree to longer term until they have tested the water. Also, sounds better to the grandparents particularly mother in law who at first didn't mind the idea of us going overseas but then seems to be taking every opportunity to lay on the guilt.

Plans would be to see how things are going then submit EOI after a couple of months.

Having spoken to friends in NZ this morning including someone from the ministry for ed OH now thinks that she would be able to teach kindi / early years as her degree is 3-8, so thinks she will have to apply for years 0 and 1 teaching.

Have sent you a PM, hope you can help! Are you heading for Auckland then for 0 to 1 teaching jobs?
    Still wonder how to find out exactly what qualifications are needed from Uk to teach Early Yrs in nZ, over and above degree and PGCE..........