Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: working permits

Default working permits

HI

We are going out to NZ as 'holidaymakers' like a lot of you have done ...

Hubby has a job to go to, so once we get out there, he will have to apply for work permit (will be based in Hawkes Bay, Napier)

How long does it take to get one sorted ?? I have been told matter of days ?

Sharon

Hi Sharon

In Christchurch we just went downt he the NZIS early and got in the queue. We managed to see an immigration officer, had all the paperwork they needed and got it issued there and then.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson182
    Hi Sharon

In Christchurch we just went downt he the NZIS early and got in the queue. We managed to see an immigration officer, had all the paperwork they needed and got it issued there and then.

What sort of documentation did you need to take with you ??
    I was thinking proof of qualifications, employers, etc ??
    Did you go over like us as holidaymakers ??

Sharon
    x

You can call into the immigration office and they will check that you have all the information they asked for in the Work Permit Application form. They mainly look for evidence of skills, qualifications, experience of applicant, details about company, role and required skills and experience (depending on the role and company evidence of recruitment process may also be needed).

If you have all the information Immigration require they will issue the permit on the spot, otherwise they will tell you what other info they need and once you have this information you can return and hopefully satisfy them second time round.

Shawn

Hi Sharon

As above really, you will need your certificates, proof of work experience ie letters of reference, and a work contract. If you check on the website it will tell you what the contract needs to have, from memory it needs to state that it is permanent, hours, job title, job description. If your job is not on the skilled shortage list they may require a labour survey.

Yes, we came over in May 2004 as holidaymakers for four weeks. We checked out New Plymouth, Dunedin and Christchurch and decided to settle in chch. On the thrid week we phoned a couple of places from the yellow pages, OH went for an interview
    and got offered the job, it was then a mad dash for, Work Permit, Somewhere to live, car, computer etc. Me and the Kids went back to the UK to rent the house for a year and we arrived back full time in Oct 04......

Not quite on a wing and a prayer as some people do it........

Best of luck

Debs xx

Sharon,
    May be a silly question but how did your OH get a job without a work permit or PR? And once you get there and get work permit how long does that let you stay in NZ? And what about you, can you work on back of OH's permit?
    We are caught in the 'chicken and egg' problem at the moment, can't submit EOI as not enough points without job offer and can't get job offer coz no PR.
    Good luck, we'll be checking out Hawkes Bay when we visit in March.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey
    Sharon,
    May be a silly question but how did your OH get a job without a work permit or PR? And once you get there and get work permit how long does that let you stay in NZ? And what about you, can you work on back of OH's permit?
    We are caught in the 'chicken and egg' problem at the moment, can't submit EOI as not enough points without job offer and can't get job offer coz no PR.

We had his Cv put on a joinery website and had loads of emails from that, which resulted in a few phoning us dirct also. He had had two job offers to date with another third one interested.
    I understand the work permit would last for 2 years, in which we would then have to get the money together to apply for PR. From what i have been advised, i would get an 'open' work visa and our little one a student visa.
    The reason we are going as holiday makers is that a) need to get there by end of March/beg April and b) not enough money to do PR from here.

Sharon
    x

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Sharon,
    Although you can't start work without PR or a work visa, you can get a job offer which enables you to apply.

Quote Originally Posted by sharon thomas View Post
    We had his Cv put on a joinery website and had loads of emails from that, which resulted in a few phoning us dirct also. He had had two job offers to date with another third one interested.

Sharon - sent you PM

Although it is not relevant to your case I thought I'd mention this for the benefit of others checking this forum for info ('cos we have a lot of lurkers who ask no questions!)

If you need a work permit in Auckland you will not get it issued immediately - you will not even be allowed to speak to anyone in person about your permit (other than for basic advice) - they only deal with written applications. They quoted me 2 - 4 weeks.

Dawn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast