Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adapters for electrical plugs?

Default Adapters for electrical plugs?

It sounds as though we need an adapter in order for our mobile phone charger (and any other UK appliances), to plug into the mains. Is this correct; if so are they expensive and where do you buy one?

You can get them at the major electrical stores like Harvey Norman or Dick Smiths. You may find it easier to bring a four way adapter from the uk and just use a NZ adapter on the main plug for that?

I bought all my adaptors from the dollar shop - $2 each. Haven't had a fire yet!!!!

Agree - for those where you can't change the plug (or it would be difficult), easy to bring plenty of 4 way adapters from the UK and simply change the plug!

Tri girl wrote:

You may find it easier to bring a four way adapter from the uk and just use a NZ adapter on the main plug for that?
    This is a really good tip, you can use an adaptor or change the plug for a NZ one. Its particulary useful for the kitchen if youy've got lots of small appliances like toasters, kettles etc and you can plug your mobile phone in there also.

4-ways are also useful for the compter area and it gives you plenty of time to start converting the normal plugs over.

A year on and we are still using a combination of adaptors, converted UK 4-ways and actually changing to NZ plugs, (definitly change the hoover to an NZ plug as its a pain to find a UK plug in every room).

Obviously for some electrical items you can't just change the plug and I'm not sure about mobile phones, (as we bought NZ ones), but we have found NZ leads for everything from our printer to our baby steriliser. We've found these either in Dick Smiths or on Trade Me.

Cheers

Tia

You can buy a NZ plug mobile phone charger from the Vodafone store (they are everywhere). If you travel around a bit & take your charger with you or if you have an adapter that disappears whenever your hubby wants to use a powertool with a fixed plug that he can't convert to NZ plug then I'd recommend buying a NZ mobile phone charger since it can be quite annoying playing hunt the adapter around every plug point in the house!

Otherwise fit NZ plugs to all of your UK appliances that don't have moulded plugs rather than fitting adapters its much much cheaper. We bought all ours from Bunnings Warehouse & they were pretty cheap.

Hi

I have a few spare UK 4 in 1 boards if anybody needs one ?

Paul seems to swear & curse every time he changes a plug over - he actively despises NZ plugs as they have no fuse & are far far too small & fiddly .

vic

Quote Originally Posted by mossum
    Paul seems to swear & curse every time he changes a plug over - he actively despises NZ plugs as they have no fuse & are far far too small & fiddly .
    join the club with my husband! need earplug after his moaning, moaning, moaning.....at the moment, there are few more need to switch over to nz plugs but i just gave a month break from it

Quote Originally Posted by mossum
    Hi

vic
    Snap Rob says that NZ plugs are so flimsy, no fuses etc - UK far superior, I must admit that trying to change them is very tricky - smaller space, screws not being that great to get back down once you have the wire in - in fact Rob leaves it to me to change them *he did one or two - i've done the rest.

I find the pins bend too easily too, and the leads to short on the Hoover (been through 2 hoovers in 7mths!) - any one got some suggestions for a GOOD hoover that picks up well???

so far the Cheapest one I bought from the Warehouse for $50 is better than the Sanyo one I origionally bought/took back and exchanged because the switch broke!

... and now for something completely different. A man who wants to get 110 circuits installed.

Seriously. All of our electrics are based on the 110 system instead of the standard NZ 230. That means that we can't just change plugs on them or use an adaptor. The items would be damaged if we tried to use them.

I'm wondering if it is possible/advisable to have some circuits in the house changed to 110 at the box and simply bring a few North American style wall outlets with us to swap out at the house.

Actually, knowing a little bit about construction, I'm beginning to be skeptical. The boxes are probably a different size and the wiring is likely incompatible. Plus it would likely affect resale of the house.

I'm sure I'll end up having to sell everything and just buy new there.

sigh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast