Thread: Woofers?

Default Woofers?

Hi I've heard a lot about these Woofers etc, and simply just working for accommodation and small pay - has anyone any experience of this? I really fancy doing something different for my 12 months in NZ - outside of an office if possible - and thought of things like Woofing and maybe stable work......

Any pros or cons anyone can share? Or contacts too..that would be great

Hi,

I sent off for a booklet with Farm Helpers in New Zealand FHiNZ about 10. It lists all farms looking for help in exchange for food and Board, some of the farms sounds really exciting.

Check out there website and apply for booklet.

www.fhinz.co.nz

Best Wishes

Cathy

Default WWOOFing is excellent way to go

We WWoofed our way round NZ during two 6 month stints,but it was 18 years ago! We met some amazing people who we are still in touch with, in fact we are going back to stay with some of them in March, this time with 3 kids in tow! We felt it gave us the best way to actaully see how NZ people live and really get to know them plus had some great experiences on farms, milking cows, picking avocadoes etc. IMP far better than being a tourist. Some hosts were very organised with rotas for chores etc, some very laid back, some mixed boring jobs with interesting, some worked with us, some left us alone. Ring before hand and ask questions if it matters to you. WE often met fantastic other WWOOF'ers at same place that recommended other good places.
    Have also seen another website www. helpx.net which is similar. Be prepared to muck in, work hard, be adaptable and when hosts see how enthusiastic you are, you will be given responsible jobs and treated like family. We felt honoured to be be included at times. And food was always plentiful and fresh (including possum!). Accomadation varied but always OK, if basic at times!
    I'd say go for it!
    Last edited by Carey; 7th February 2007 at 06:37 AM. Reason: spelling

I have joined WWOOF and have my big wwoof book here now, and i plan on doing some wwoofing for a few months before settling in NZ.

It looks like a great way of meeting Kiwis, and a excellent way of seeing which part of NZ will suit me best, before i end up settling down.

Also try help exchange - online network http://www.helpx.net - I made some good contacts and had some very enjoyable stays through it and met some lovely people I'm still in touch with - Akaroa, Nelson, Wellington
    It's free to join - though I think they've started charging for some of their services.
    Cheers Jane

Wonderful - thanks guys. I have indeed bought the booklets you speak of are already trying to put feelers out.

I am a hard worker and especially so when outside and I am enjoying the work. However, I do worry about the hosts taking advantage of me - you know cheap slavery! I'm happy to help with food preparation but sadly I can't cook to same my life! I really don't wish to poison my host family!

Do the families/people tend to go with your strenghts and comprise where things like that are concerned???

I think I might go for it - as you say I should meet people along the way! Otherwise I'll be travelling alone I think.

Gosh listen to me and I haven't even got my visa or the go ahead yet!!

HUGE thanks guys