Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nurses' salary

Default Nurses' salary

Hi there

I am a Mental Health Nurse and have two interviews scheduled for next week. I have been told by the nursing agency that I can expect to earn one fixed rate which is incrimental wherever I go. Is this true or can I negotiate a higher wage?

steve

Not many nurses here then lol

In NZ there are a lot of collective contracts within public services - it was seen as a way to strengthen bargaining rights by unions.

Nurses possibly have a banding system in place and the job you will go for may have an expected salaray banding of $27-$33k - so you may be able to negotiate between the band but you would only rise to the next band after certain years of experience or after reaching key goals (ie new training, being responsible for other staff etc)

Then again - you could always ask !

I have heard some private health organisations can pay more than the union collective, though this may not always be the case.

I have been led to believe that the average salary for a nurse is between $37,000 & $45,000. Is this wrong - if so I won't be able to afford to move.

That would depend on experience I guess... have you tried to search for any nursing forums run in NZ? They'd be able to give you the best idea of expected pay and conditions.

Hi there
    I am a nurse of 25years and though this means that i am high ish up the pay scale and definately up the pension scheme i am still giving NZ the thumbs up for all the great lifestyle plusses. Remember that the pay is set agianst the cost of living (dont keep changing it to pounds and thinking ouch) relatively i think that nurses are paid fairly well compared to other workers in NZ and there are good rewards of promotion if you are prepared to go the extra mile. At the end of the day you have to decide whether to stay in the NHS (which is not bad but could be better) or go for a less stressed life!

The one JD i have seen was for a coordinator band (like a G grade/ band 7 ward manager) which was about $70,000 which is similar salary to the same post in the uk.

All the best Clare

Mrs pieeater is a Paedeatric Nurse with 25 years experience and gets $23 an hour.There is also a bit extra for doing nights,late's etc.But no superannuation the usual 4 weeks hol 10 days sick p.a.etc.She has to undergo constant scrutiny and training to prove herself etc.etc.just like the U.K.I don't understand the 'less stress' comments on here at all.My wife is more stressed in her job here!.She never used to talk to me about her job in the U.K.not so here.We had a friend of hers visit the other day who is a Nurse in the U.K. and they were swopping stories about work.They both had the same stories to tell.My wife does the same job at the same level here but preffered her job in the U.K.to the one she has here.

Hiya
    By less stressed i mean the NZ attitude to life in general. I guess the health services are really short staffed which is why nurses get in to NZ relatively easily. having been restructured twice within 12 months and having the threat of constant 'moves' between specialties (even tho i have been in neonatal 20 years) has added to the usual stress and strain of the good old NHS. I guess that i to would until 2 or 3 years ago not really mentioned work at home but i have noticed a real culture change here in the uk that has changed all that. Shame really because its a job that i love. How long have you been in NZ ?

Hi
    I'm working as a nurse in Auckland I work for ADHB, generaLLY uk nurses tend to start on a higher band than the nurses already here, I guess that's the incentive to come here. I'm sure everyone's story is different, however I got a job offer before coming here so maybe that made a difference, I guess also it will be down to experience. I generally find my job much, much less stressful than in the UK and can say there is no comparison, if I was to return to the UK I would not go back as a nurse.
    Thank goodness I am able to enjoy my job again, I do work with alot of nurses from the UK and they are of the same opinion that conditions are much better here, of course all down to personal experiences.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast